Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I will try sideways rocking next fill-up. I have been getting it to burp a bit with front/back rocking....but only get maybe a 1/10th more of a gallon in, and it is back up to the top of the filler neck.

A couple of tanks back I thought for sure I was going to get close to 6 gallons in it....I had traveled 26 miles further than I had on any other tank...but it turns out I was just getting better MPG, it still only took 5.56 gallons.

What I really need to do is carry a gas can with me and run out of fuel, and see how many miles it goes after the MTE is at 10 miles, and how much fuel I can put in.
Kevin, I have the 2' tank lift on my '12MY w/the 1/2' in the rear. the tank sits at an angle that won't leave much room at all after it hits the filler. If I put the cap back in then shake it around both sideways & for & aft I can only get it to empty the filler tube out. I can't get even a "click" on the nozzle without over filling.
I haven't run it out to find out the accuracy of the gauge, but it seems very close to correct. I know you have the '14, but should be the same tank.
I have put about 5.5 gal in when it said I had 18miles left.

Last edited by sloufoot; 07-25-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Good idea Kevin ! I'm curious what are you getting mpg with your current mods ? Ebert

Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
Kevin I have found that when filling up with fuel I shake the Trike sideways and the fuel will seek new places to go and you can usually get another 1/2 a gallon or so ! Ebert
Hey, Thanks! Last two fill-ups I rocked it sideways instead of fore and aft and was able to get an extra 1/2 gallon in.

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Kevin, I have the 2' tank lift on my '12MY w/the 1/2' in the rear. the tank sits at an angle that won't leave much room at all after it hits the filler. If I put the cap back in then shake it around both sideways & for & aft I can only get it to empty the filler tube out. I can't get even a "click" on the nozzle without over filling.
I haven't run it out to find out the accuracy of the gauge, but it seems very close to correct. I know you have the '14, but should be the same tank.
I have put about 5.5 gal in when it said I had 18miles left.
The picture below is of my 2011. It had a 1.5" tank lift with the deluxe option and there were a few times where I filled up right around 6 gallons...and I had NOT been sputtering before fill-up. Maybe the difference was the 2" vs the 1.5", doesn't seem like it would make that much difference though.

Good idea Kevin ! I'm curious what are you getting mpg with your current mods ? Ebert
All depends on how I'm riding. I've gotten as low as 25 MPG and as high as 37 MPG. But it is still loosening up and I am still auto-tuning and still playing with mods.

I expect I will end up getting about the same as I did with the 2011, which was a low of 25 mpg and a high somewhere in the mid 40's. But averaged around 33 mpg. On our Alaska trip, which was 13k+ miles the average was a bit better than 33 MPG for the entire 13,000 miles.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Some new pics/info on most recent mods-

I wanted my passing lights to be yellow...just to stand out a bit more to oncoming traffic, both during the day and night.

I got some film from lamin-x.com and it worked like a charm.

Really happy with how it turned out, and it did not seem to reduce how well they light up the road at night.

I originally had pulled the stock air cleaner and replaced it with the 636v with the shorty filter. Had to use the shorty because of the radiator filled lower fairings.

While it functioned fine, I just could not get past how weird it looked with that filter on there.

So I pulled it off and put my Outlaw 587 filter from the 2011 TG back on...running it with the Chrome Bobber Cover.

Only thing I did different is use the Premium Discrete Breather System with the SS Braided hose and the Chrome Hose Clamp Covers.

I did keep the Chrome Support Bracket Cover on to tie the two rocker covers together.

Here's a pic with the 587 backplate on and the beginning of the PD Breather System.

Here it is with the SS Braided Hose installed...with the Chrome Hose Clamp Covers for a bit of a finished look. I know the hose is not symmetrical in the install, but it is covered by the Bobber cover, and I wanted the hose to have a forward angle to it after the T-Connector.

Here's a pic of it all put together...still inside.

Couple Pics of it outside-

I routed the hose forward and then down on the left side to the filter...between the frame and the floorboard.

Had to get down on the ground to see it to take a pic. Still lots of mud under there from the Boogie Rally. lol

I've been extremely happy with how it's running, and we are enjoying it even more than the '11.

That's it for now. More thoughts and pics to come in the next week or so.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will try sideways rocking next fill-up. I have been getting it to burp a bit with front/back rocking....but only get maybe a 1/10th more of a gallon in, and it is back up to the top of the filler neck.

A couple of tanks back I thought for sure I was going to get close to 6 gallons in it....I had traveled 26 miles further than I had on any other tank...but it turns out I was just getting better MPG, it still only took 5.56 gallons.

What I really need to do is carry a gas can with me and run out of fuel, and see how many miles it goes after the MTE is at 10 miles, and how much fuel I can put in.

Be sure to report back on that!

Myself, I prefer to go ahead and stop for gas before running out.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
Be sure to report back on that!

Myself, I prefer to go ahead and stop for gas before running out.
I've filled up a few times since, and, amazingly, when rocking side to side instead of front to back, I have been able to get an extra half gallon in.

Really strange filler necks.

Yeah...I hear ya...I don't like to run out of gas....but I sure find it irritating to have to stop and fill up also.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 AM
dwludwi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Thanks! Last two fill-ups I rocked it sideways instead of fore and aft and was able to get an extra 1/2 gallon in.

All depends on how I'm riding. I've gotten as low as 25 MPG and as high as 37 MPG. But it is still loosening up and I am still auto-tuning and still playing with mods.

I expect I will end up getting about the same as I did with the 2011, which was a low of 25 mpg and a high somewhere in the mid 40's. But averaged around 33 mpg. On our Alaska trip, which was 13k+ miles the average was a bit better than 33 MPG for the entire 13,000 miles.

I just figured out the mpg from the trip I just took on my '14 tri-glide. The highest was 45.5 and the lowest was 26.5 on the interstate at 75mph+. Overall I averaged 35.4 mpg for 2700 miles. That is a lot better than I thought I would get.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:16 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer

Originally Posted by dwludwi
I just figured out the mpg from the trip I just took on my '14 tri-glide. The highest was 45.5 and the lowest was 26.5 on the interstate at 75mph+. Overall I averaged 35.4 mpg for 2700 miles. That is a lot better than I thought I would get.
Is this a bone stock 2014 Tri Glide with no mods ? Thanks

Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM
dwludwi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a bone stock 2014 Tri Glide with no mods ? Thanks

Yes, it is a stock 2014 tri-glide.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer

Thanks , that is pretty good mileage . My 14 hasn't got anything over 34mpg and that is taking it easy under 3k rpms. interstate speeds excess of 70 and more it really sucks the fuel. LOL

Quick Reply: Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences