Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Under even a slight load, you will find that you probably will get better mpg in the 3000-3400 rpm range. That's not always the case, but more often than not it is.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 14 triglide. I've gutted the cat,installed mufflers & opened up the a/c,& Installed the race tuner. I just did a 5500 mile trip last month to the west coast, & got right around 38mpg for an average.I was very impressed with the mileage & the 14 overall. Prior to this trike i had an 11 triglide,this 14 is much better in so many different ways.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Got a few little things to report...mostly I've just been riding it and enjoying it.

Not sure if I mentioned, I am running the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 ceramic coated headers with my Rush Slip-ons, no baffles, with W258 Thunder Torque Inserts. Love the tone, no flat spots, and lots of comments on how good it sounds.

A few weeks ago the toggle on the left side for moving forward to the next song quit working. The up/down of the toggle works for volume, but not the forward/back part for fast forwarding or skipping to the next song on the MP3. Need to take it in and get the fixed under warranty...the toggle feels fine, just no functionality.

Today my fender running lights, fender brake lights and left fender turn signal all quit working. Haven't checked yet, but I sort of doubt it's the actual filaments...more likely wiring harness or BCU. Will check bulbs, and replace if necessary, but other than that that's another warranty issue when I take it in. (the tour pak running, brake and turn signal lights are all still working)

I've about given up on making the oil bud oil cooler function satisfactorily...it's just not designed to work with a Twin Cooled TC...the entire water pump assembly blocks to much of the air that needs to be flowing over it for it to work well. May be coming up with a design to use a Jagg oil cooler under the body with an air scoop.

Will update this thread with results on the electric stuff soon. Oil cooler may take longer...I am booked out with projects until almost the end of October.

One of the projects we're working on is an on-board air compressor to adjust the rear shocks with a push of a button..while sitting still or going down the road. I've wanted one of these for the last 10 years or so, but they are just too expensive for me (as it is a convenience item only). But it looks like we can build the kits for substantially less than anything else on the market. Testing has been underway for awhile, and it's working well!!!

Mary and I just got back from a 2700 mile trip on the Softail. It was a lot of fun. But getting back on the TG for the last couple of days for a couple hundred miles sure reminded me how much I like the TG!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I also had the toggle not change songs on request when using a usb stick . Took it to the dealership and they couldn't help. It would change channels on the radio mode but would not on the media . So I figured it was a usb stick problem , was a long process but I reloaded or refreshed the usb stick on my laptop and all is working now ! ??? Ebert

Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer

We just got back from our Maggie Valley trip of 1640 miles of wonderful riding . Did the Tail of the Dragon and rode around Fontana lake and Dam area , of course Cherokee and Wheels of Time Museum and the Biltmore Estate . Excellent weather too ! I had one issue with the Trike , I gutted the cat added Rush slipons before we left for the trip and set my fl-xied-10 as per instructions . All was well on the trip down to N.C. averaged about 34mpgs. When we were there I kept smelling raw gas , and my buddys said man your Trike is making us cry! So took Xieds off even though mileage and performance were still good. It did respond a little better but also brought back some heat . Nothing like before decatting though , it was tolerable being ambient temps were in the high 80's. Mpgs went up considerably , which I knew it was lean now ! Returned home without xied's , interstate riding cruising 65 70 mph and averaged 38mpg with ambient temps in the mid 90's. Did pull the spark plugs a couple of times and they were NOT snow white as I expected , a little ash grey tone. All in all I am very very pleased the way the Trike performed and handled the twisties and the comfort ! As for the GPS , yes it has serious issues LOL !! Ebert

Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
I also had the toggle not change songs on request when using a usb stick . Took it to the dealership and they couldn't help. It would change channels on the radio mode but would not on the media . So I figured it was a usb stick problem , was a long process but I reloaded or refreshed the usb stick on my laptop and all is working now ! ??? Ebert
Taking your experience, I tried the toggle on the radio, it worked fine. Then tried it on my S5 and it worked fine...but it still does not work on my MP3 (which it did before), so I will be trying what you did and reloading the MP3.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
We just got back from our Maggie Valley trip of 1640 miles of wonderful riding . Did the Tail of the Dragon and rode around Fontana lake and Dam area , of course Cherokee and Wheels of Time Museum and the Biltmore Estate . Excellent weather too ! I had one issue with the Trike , I gutted the cat added Rush slipons before we left for the trip and set my fl-xied-10 as per instructions . All was well on the trip down to N.C. averaged about 34mpgs. When we were there I kept smelling raw gas , and my buddys said man your Trike is making us cry! So took Xieds off even though mileage and performance were still good. It did respond a little better but also brought back some heat . Nothing like before decatting though , it was tolerable being ambient temps were in the high 80's. Mpgs went up considerably , which I knew it was lean now ! Returned home without xied's , interstate riding cruising 65 70 mph and averaged 38mpg with ambient temps in the mid 90's. Did pull the spark plugs a couple of times and they were NOT snow white as I expected , a little ash grey tone. All in all I am very very pleased the way the Trike performed and handled the twisties and the comfort ! As for the GPS , yes it has serious issues LOL !! Ebert
Interesting on the XiED's. Over time I believe your LTFT will lean out and it will get even warmer/leaner. I would recommend seeing if you can trade the units you got for another set...they may be defective.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
A few weeks ago the toggle on the left side for moving forward to the next song quit working. The up/down of the toggle works for volume, but not the forward/back part for fast forwarding or skipping to the next song on the MP3. Need to take it in and get the fixed under warranty...the toggle feels fine, just no functionality.
Kevin had the same problem try un-checking the presets for switching stations in setup. Hope this helps!

Rax

Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Raxus
Kevin had the same problem try un-checking the presets for switching stations in setup. Hope this helps!

Rax
Just went out and did that and it worked!

Thank you!!!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Interesting on the XiED's. Over time I believe your LTFT will lean out and it will get even warmer/leaner. I would recommend seeing if you can trade the units you got for another set...they may be defective.
I purchased them from you when I bought the lift kit ! LOL. Thanks , Ebert

Quick Reply: Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences