Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 gps sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
The GPS on the 14 TriGlide doesn't suck, it is actually quite good. But how would you know, you don't own one? Funny you bring up the abacus reference since you haven't upgraded to a far superior 14 TriGlide model. In comparison you own the abacus. No offense, just sayin...
The MOCO hasn't made enough GOOD changes to make me want to get rid of my 09. They are having their growing pains with the 14's. A lot of coolant leaks. What they did was put a bandade on a major problem.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The GPS on the 14 TriGlide doesn't suck, it is actually quite good. But how would you know, you don't own one? Funny you bring up the abacus reference since you haven't upgraded to a far superior 14 TriGlide model. In comparison you own the abacus. No offense, just sayin...
Yesterday I looked at both a 2014 Triglide, a CVO Ultra and an Ultra Limited, not enough changes to pique my interest. There are some good changes such as the linking the front and rear brakes, sticking their toes in the liquid cooling waters, like wise there is some bad changes. The big one is the tripple tree and neck bearing arrangement. If you put enough miles on you will learn the pain in the wallet of this new service.

Every 25,000 miles they will have to remove your entire front end to grease and then re-torque the bearings, I'm betting it will be about a 5 - 7 hour labor charge, when I say entire front end I mean inner & outer fairing, front tire & fender, passing lamps, handle bars. Pretty much everything that needs to be removed to take the tripple trees apart, you'll have to let us know how this works out for you.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Geez TwinCooled. Cool down. I was not judging, only adding to what most others have said. I have read enough posts to convince me that Harley did not put their best foot forward in the Rushmore GPS design.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Yesterday I looked at both a 2014 Triglide, a CVO Ultra and an Ultra Limited, not enough changes to pique my interest. There are some good changes such as the linking the front and rear brakes, sticking their toes in the liquid cooling waters, like wise there is some bad changes. The big one is the tripple tree and neck bearing arrangement. If you put enough miles on you will learn the pain in the wallet of this new service.

Every 25,000 miles they will have to remove your entire front end to grease and then re-torque the bearings, I'm betting it will be about a 5 - 7 hour labor charge, when I say entire front end I mean inner & outer fairing, front tire & fender, passing lamps, handle bars. Pretty much everything that needs to be removed to take the tripple trees apart, you'll have to let us know how this works out for you.
First, I will verify what you say is true. Having a healthy respect for your mechanical aptitude, I'm guessing you know of which you speak. Even if that is true, it changes nothing. The 2014 TriGlide is far superior to any of the previous renditions. I'm sure you will agree. I have had my trike for 10 months and am approaching 5000 miles on the odometer which will probably prove out to be the average for me. I also ride two wheels and four wheels. I will start saving my pennies for those 25k services.

If HD makes even more improvements in the near future, I may even trade up again. I'm loving my 2014 for now.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3

Checked today and Harley Davidson Flat Rate calls for 4 hours for a complete 25K service on a 14 FLHTK, FLHTKSE, FLHTCU and FLHTCUTG, plus parts. Seems you are over hyping. My question to you is why? I know you have a beef with the MOCO but why terrorize the folks? The new front end changes for the 2014 models are a vast improvement over what was previously offered and make the 14s easier and more pleasurable to ride. If you have ridden both for a significant (actually if you just rode a 14 around a parking lot) number of miles, I'm sure you would agree.

Last edited by TwinCooled; 07-10-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Friend has a 2014 FLHTK and we have messed with the GPS quite a bit. It is inferior to my ZUMO 660. We have not figured out a way to put in and take out waypoints, and it is certainly not as intuitive as the 660. If it has all the information in it that the 660 does, we have not been able to find it.

Having ridden his quite a bit, I cannot find that there is enough of an improvement to get an upgrade. I like the saddlebag and tour pac latches, I don't like the hood scoop, don't like the GPS, the jury is out on liquid cooled heads, and I can't tell a lot of difference in handling. As for the Tri-Glide model, having to pay 1,000 extra for a CB after paying 36,000 for the bike is absurd.

As far as the front end goes, my friend just completed a 3,000 mile trip on his Limited, and a couple of times he had a bad frontend shake (Tank Slapper). The bike has less than 10,000 miles on it. Is this the triple tree issue MSOCKO3 was talking about??

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 07-11-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I am one that never used a GPS. went one a 1800 ride and programed my route in it and it did every thing I needed. they default to quickest route, but you can pick twisties no toll and such. so for someone that never used one before and learning how to use it, it works great to me. so that is my 2cents.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What little I use of the GPS works for my needs. Honestly I like to google map anywhere I go before hand just too see if there is any interesting POI's. So I pretty much know where I am going. The few times I did get lost the GPS got me home safe and sound. Sound like a win to me

PS- Besides..as long as wife is with me, she can ask the convenience store clerk where to go and I can blame it on her (looks behind shoulder for wife)

Rax

Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars why not buy a GPS that will travel between your bike and your car. I can use my Zumo in my car also which I do a lot.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:00 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Checked today and Harley Davidson Flat Rate calls for 4 hours for a complete 25K service on a 14 FLHTK, FLHTKSE, FLHTCU and FLHTCUTG, plus parts. Seems you are over hyping. My question to you is why? I know you have a beef with the MOCO but why terrorize the folks? The new front end changes for the 2014 models are a vast improvement over what was previously offered and make the 14s easier and more pleasurable to ride. If you have ridden both for a significant (actually if you just rode a 14 around a parking lot) number of miles, I'm sure you would agree.
Now you have to agree I was pretty darn close on the hours, on my low end I was only 1 hour more than the 4 you where quoted. So you can't say I was terrorizing anyone, or hyping anything. I'd say my guestimate was pretty good considering I was going off the top of my head on what has to come apart for the work involved. I'll bet as time goes you could see the shops bump the time allotted up, once they get some experience doing the task, or they could take short cuts and not perform everything.

Ask yourself the questions, why did they take the zerk fitting away for greasing the front end? Couldn't there have been a better way than having to pull the triple tree apart to service the bearings every 25,000 miles?

The 14's are some what of an improvement, they did stick their little toe in the water cooled world. The next trick they need to perform is jump all the way into the water.

FWIW every time I throw a leg over my 06 Ultra Classic I congratulate myself for keeping it.

Quick Reply: 2014 gps sucks!!!