Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 gps sucks!!!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse

As far as the front end goes, my friend just completed a 3,000 mile trip on his Limited, and a couple of times he had a bad frontend shake (Tank Slapper). The bike has less than 10,000 miles on it. Is this the triple tree issue MSOCKO3 was talking about??

Bill
Your friend has something else going on and should be getting with the dealer. The triple tree stuff I was talking about is the need for service of the bearings for the triple tree every 25,000 miles.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Friend has a 2014 FLHTK and we have messed with the GPS quite a bit. It is inferior to my ZUMO 660. We have not figured out a way to put in and take out waypoints, and it is certainly not as intuitive as the 660. If it has all the information in it that the 660 does, we have not been able to find it.
Bill
I totally agree with this part of your post. The ZUMO 440 I was using on my 07 was far supperior to the 6.5 Boombox GPS. The GPS on my iPhone is better and easier to use. I too have tinkered around for hours trying to figure out how to remove the built in POI's because they get in the way when in zoom in mode.

If anyone has figured out how to delete all the POI's I'd certainly love to know how.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Your friend has something else going on and should be getting with the dealer. The triple tree stuff I was talking about is the need for service of the bearings for the triple tree every 25,000 miles.
Bike is in the shop right now. Won't know anything until Tuesday.

Bill

Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Duplicate post.

Last edited by billnourse; 07-12-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:21 AM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Now you have to agree I was pretty darn close on the hours, on my low end I was only 1 hour more than the 4 you where quoted. So you can't say I was terrorizing anyone, or hyping anything. I'd say my guestimate was pretty good considering I was going off the top of my head on what has to come apart for the work involved. I'll bet as time goes you could see the shops bump the time allotted up, once they get some experience doing the task, or they could take short cuts and not perform everything.

Ask yourself the questions, why did they take the zerk fitting away for greasing the front end? Couldn't there have been a better way than having to pull the triple tree apart to service the bearings every 25,000 miles?

The 14's are some what of an improvement, they did stick their little toe in the water cooled world. The next trick they need to perform is jump all the way into the water.

FWIW every time I throw a leg over my 06 Ultra Classic I congratulate myself for keeping it.
M3, you absolutely were trying scare tactics with your post about the 25K service or, at the very least, continuing your denigration of the advancements of the 14 TriGlide. Your reasoning is suspect. Dealers are responsible to the MOCO as to what they charge for required services.

I'm not going to take the side of the MOCO against the world. What I will do is call a spade a spade. The 14's are way more than "somewhat of an improvement". They are a night and day improvement. That doesn't mean it's perfect. Don't take my word for it, though. Go ask your local Master Certified technician. I did and more than just one. Is the 14 Trike the end all? Nope, but it is the best offering by a motorcycle manufacturer on the market. Bar none. And it's a ****ing Harley Davidson. That means more to some than others. By the way your 06 Ultra? LMFAO! You really aren't holding that up as a pillar of technology are you?
But hey, it's paid for, it's yours and you like it! More power to you, my friend!

Friendly conversations like this are a good thing.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with TwinCooled that the 14's are a significant improvement, I could not be happier with mine even in stock mode . . . the GPS still sucks though.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
M3, you absolutely were trying scare tactics with your post about the 25K service or, at the very least, continuing your denigration of the advancements of the 14 TriGlide. Your reasoning is suspect. Dealers are responsible to the MOCO as to what they charge for required services.

I'm not going to take the side of the MOCO against the world. What I will do is call a spade a spade. The 14's are way more than "somewhat of an improvement". They are a night and day improvement. That doesn't mean it's perfect. Don't take my word for it, though. Go ask your local Master Certified technician. I did and more than just one. Is the 14 Trike the end all? Nope, but it is the best offering by a motorcycle manufacturer on the market. Bar none. And it's a ****ing Harley Davidson. That means more to some than others. By the way your 06 Ultra? LMFAO! You really aren't holding that up as a pillar of technology are you?
But hey, it's paid for, it's yours and you like it! More power to you, my friend!

Friendly conversations like this are a good thing.
The dealer is not responsible to the MoCo for what they charge on service. I know a dealer which has earned awards from the MoCo who charges more labor hours for a tire change than what the flat rate calls for. When I ask the service manager why they charge more hours for a job which still takes the same length, he told me it was a way of getting more money without raising their hourly rate. They had to compete with local Indy's who were charging the same per hour labor rate.

The customer is unsuspecting unless they've had the service done many times and look at the time charged. A .5 hour front tire replacement doesn't all of a sudden take 1 hour on the same bike.

One thing you will learn about dealers and the MoCo is the dealer is an independently operated business who bought the franchise, the MoCo will inform you of this if you go to them with a beef about prices and standards of service.

I'm not much to waste my time with dealer technicians, sure there are good ones, but they are few and far between. The majority are wet behind the ears kids fresh out of MMI, or old timers who are better working on EVO and older bikes. Over the years I've talked to a boat load of tech's, within the 1st few sentences I can tell a good one from a turd. One of the reasons I have thousands of dollars invested in tools and equipment to work on bikes is a direct result of poor "Master Technician" workmanship. The Harley trike is the only conventional trike offered by a manufacturer, so they win by default, I don't count Can-Am as a conventional trike.

As for my 06, I didn't hold it up as a pillar of technology. For some reason it just feels more solid than the newer bikes produced over the last several years. It does what I want, I'd climb in it right now and take a 3,400 mile round trip to SD if I felt like it, and know I'd get there and back without any issues. If I wanted to hold something up as a pillar of technology, I would be holding up a completely liquid cooled engine which makes more torque and can go well in excess of 200,000 miles with not much more than normal maintenance.

There are two different kind of consumers. The kind who will be 100% loyal to a brand no matter what they do, they're the type who will purchase a life style. Then there is the consumer who makes their own life style because they don't want to be like the other sheep. They will abandon a brand in a heartbeat if the brand doesn't produce a product which meets their expectations.

I'm the 2nd type of consumer, I march to the beat of my own drum, I'm comfortable in my own shoes, I don't need to purchase a manufactured life style. I will switch brands in a heartbeat when the brand no longer fulfills my needs. I used to be a diehard Chevy person, I switched to Toyota back in 2008 because I wanted a more reliable solidly built vehicle. At the end of the day its my hard earned dollars I choose to spend it on what I perceive as the best item to get the job done for me.

We really have gotten way off topic, I though the factory GPS was what folks where talking about.

Last edited by msocko3; 07-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TwinCooled: I'm very curious, how many Tri Glides have you owned and ridden or is the 14 your first??

Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

M3, I'm with you 100% in what you're saying. Although I try hard to stay American, it is getting harder all the time. It's just something I try & believe in I guess !
Off topic or not some things just need said. Thanks !
Now back to the topic.... I use a Garmin 850 in a cover. I don't believe in paying for something just to have it say Harley Davidson when it turns on.
The 850 has held up for around 20,000 miles so far. Some on other Bikes besides the Trike. Will do everything I want it to do. Plays through AUX plug, or FM radio, hooks up Bluetooth with my phone, plays MP3's, Audio books, etc... etc. If it fails I can replace it for under $200 off EBay.
But then again, I got the CB in my 2012MY. Just haven't put XM in yet, but I can do that also....... My choice to not pay for what sounds like it doesn't work.... Don't know for sure,,,, I don't own one....

Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
M3, I'm with you 100% in what you're saying. Although I try hard to stay American, it is getting harder all the time. It's just something I try & believe in I guess !
Off topic or not some things just need said. Thanks !
Now back to the topic.... I use a Garmin 850 in a cover. I don't believe in paying for something just to have it say Harley Davidson when it turns on.
The 850 has held up for around 20,000 miles so far. Some on other Bikes besides the Trike. Will do everything I want it to do. Plays through AUX plug, or FM radio, hooks up Bluetooth with my phone, plays MP3's, Audio books, etc... etc. If it fails I can replace it for under $200 off EBay.
But then again, I got the CB in my 2012MY. Just haven't put XM in yet, but I can do that also....... My choice to not pay for what sounds like it doesn't work.... Don't know for sure,,,, I don't own one....
I'm with you. I bought the Zumo 550 when it first came out years ago. I use it all the time on my trips on the bike or in the car. Very easy to use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 gps sucks!!!