Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Excessive exhaust heat?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 PM
jpt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive exhaust heat?

My wife is complaining of the excessive heat coming from the exhaust pipes on my 2014TG. I talked to the dealer about it and was told that the problem can be cured by removing the cat and replacing the exhaust system and also start using synthetic oil (I am almost ready for the 1K service). This mod cost around $1900. Can any of you experienced H-D riders have any suggestions to make concerning this problem.

Thank you for your time- John

Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

We had a 2010 TG and it was HOT! Now we have a 2014 and the wife said that this one was very comfortable and the heat not noticeable ....but
If you want to remove the heat..
1. Yes, removing the cat will reduce the heat felt by both, it's an easy modification you can do yourself. Do a search in the touring section and there are lots of threads on doing this.
2. Also, after removing the cat you can wrap the exhaust with header tape, easy buy on eBay, and this will help some more.
3. The route I'm taking is replacing the exhaust header with a header from FullSac.
4. Replacing the header ( or removing the cat), putting a high flow air cleaner ( I'm going to use a Arlan Ness big sucker), free flowing exhaust mufflers and a tuner ( I'm going with. TTS tuner) will greatly reduce the heat and the trike will run so much better.

Look at the top of this forum, there are several stickies on reducing heat and tuning the motor...

Old 07-06-2014, 11:34 PM
jlgale
Tourer

I too choose to go with the FullSac Stage 1 kit. Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by jpt
My wife is complaining of the excessive heat coming from the exhaust pipes on my 2014TG. I talked to the dealer about it and was told that the problem can be cured by removing the cat and replacing the exhaust system and also start using synthetic oil (I am almost ready for the 1K service). This mod cost around $1900. Can any of you experienced H-D riders have any suggestions to make concerning this problem.

Thank you for your time- John

Removing the cat will result in a significant reduction of heat radiating up on the passengers right side.

On my 2011 TG I cut the cat out of the stock headers. Cost was zero, time taken was about 3 hours. It requires a cutting tool, drill, dremel, shop vac and welder.

On my 2014 TG I decided to go with the Fuel Moto headers that don't have a cat in them.

Either way will work fine, I went with the new catless headers this time to save time, and to get a bit extra power from the better header design.

Neither way should even approach the cost of $1000, let alone $1900.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 07-07-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper
We had a 2010 TG and it was HOT! Now we have a 2014 and the wife said that this one was very comfortable and the heat not noticeable ....but
If you want to remove the heat..
1. Yes, removing the cat will reduce the heat felt by both, it's an easy modification you can do yourself. Do a search in the touring section and there are lots of threads on doing this.
2. Also, after removing the cat you can wrap the exhaust with header tape, easy buy on eBay, and this will help some more.
3. The route I'm taking is replacing the exhaust header with a header from FullSac.
4. Replacing the header ( or removing the cat), putting a high flow air cleaner ( I'm going to use a Arlan Ness big sucker), free flowing exhaust mufflers and a tuner ( I'm going with. TTS tuner) will greatly reduce the heat and the trike will run so much better.

Look at the top of this forum, there are several stickies on reducing heat and tuning the motor...
I too purchased a Fullsac header to get my 2014 triglide heat down. Wanted to wait until I got my 1000 mile oil change which it will be going in tomorrow for the freebe. But riding this puppy around, I tell ya, that heat coming off of the pipe cooks my right foot.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a decated head pipe from wild hogs on e bay and put it on my self and kept my original one so I can put it back on if needed for warranty things , cost was like $150

Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Minnesota Dick
Novice

Don't forget to put the floor board extenders on. They are a big help with the heat as it moves your feet out away from the head pipe about an inch or so.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM
DieselDave24v
Cruiser

Go with a fullsac header. you will not be disappointed. 1900 bucks is steep!

I just put on on my twin cooled limited and the heat is GONE!!!!!!! none existent. Its amazing

Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

$1900 is a bit steep to me also. Just ordered parts to do a full Stage 1 from Fuel Moto yesterday for <$1500 shipped. Head pipe, mufflers, air cleaner and tuner.

Add a few hours of "wrench on it yourself labor" and you're done. Cheaper than the dealer, plus the satisfaction of knowing the job is done right.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Way too much money. Head pipes average about 480 if you don't just go with one that is de-catted. De-catted pipes are available for around 200. Mufflers from 380 to 590 depending on what you get. That's all there is to a new exhaust system. Labor should not be more than 2 hours.

It is pretty easy to remove the cat if you have someone that can weld stainless. There are lots of directions on the forum if you do a search.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive exhaust heat?