Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Making the Change (Possibly)

Old 07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Making the Change (Possibly)

Haven't been hanging around the Touring forums much these days due mostly to work and just all the summer "stuff" to be done.

Over in the TG forum now to ask some questions as it seems like me and the wifey will be changing from 2 wheels to 3 in the near future. Knee problems, short legs and age are the contributing factor as it gets increasingly harder to hold up and maneuver a 1k pound Ultra safely with the wife and all our gear for a long trip.

I'm looking at a '14 TG but need some information before pulling the trigger on this thing.

On every bike I have ever owned (many) my first task is to open it up and get more performance. Since FI that has consisted of full exhaust system, open air cleaner and a tuner of some kind.

The '14s are different and new so what's everyone been going with for head pipes and tuners?

I'm thinking either Fullsac or Fuelmoto with V&H Monster Ovals for exhaust but I am at a loss with the tuner. All my other FI bikes I have used Power Commander, but not sure with the '14. Most of what I've seen is TTS or Power Vision so what's the general tuner consensus.

Since this will be my first trike, what are some of the other "must haves"?

I already have the comfort lift on my list along with a few custom parts I will build myself.

TIA for any and all info!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Floor board extenders, so you aren't gripping the gas tank! Lift brackets a must. You will love the Tri-Glide...

Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm going with:
1. FullSac header
2. arlan Ness big Sucker
3. TTS tuner
4. V&H Mondter rounds

Head a set on a TG with the stock exhaust, sounded deep and nice, don't know about with. Open header...

Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman
Haven't been hanging around the Touring forums much these days due mostly to work and just all the summer "stuff" to be done.

Over in the TG forum now to ask some questions as it seems like me and the wifey will be changing from 2 wheels to 3 in the near future. Knee problems, short legs and age are the contributing factor as it gets increasingly harder to hold up and maneuver a 1k pound Ultra safely with the wife and all our gear for a long trip.

I'm looking at a '14 TG but need some information before pulling the trigger on this thing.

On every bike I have ever owned (many) my first task is to open it up and get more performance. Since FI that has consisted of full exhaust system, open air cleaner and a tuner of some kind.

The '14s are different and new so what's everyone been going with for head pipes and tuners?

I'm thinking either Fullsac or Fuelmoto with V&H Monster Ovals for exhaust but I am at a loss with the tuner. All my other FI bikes I have used Power Commander, but not sure with the '14. Most of what I've seen is TTS or Power Vision so what's the general tuner consensus.

Since this will be my first trike, what are some of the other "must haves"?

I already have the comfort lift on my list along with a few custom parts I will build myself.

TIA for any and all info!
On my second TG in 3 years. The 2014 might have enough power for you stock. My 2011 was putting out 97 ft. lbs with just a good stage 1 with the Power Vision.

Stock (with a Power Vision to correct the lean factory tune) the 2014 had even more power!

But I went ahead and did a full Stage 1 on the 2014 anyway. Fuel Moto headers, Rush Slip-ons, Outlaw Air Cleaner System, along with the Power Vision.

Everyone has a different list of must have's....Comfort Lift you'll be happy with, floorboard extensions are very nice. If loading up, a Tour Pak Rack.

Here is an ongoing thread on what I'm doing to my 2014 TG-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...fferences.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Thanks All!

Kevin I've been reading your write up, great job!

As far as tuners TTS vs. PV, is there any major differences in the way they perform their jobs? I realize the PV has the display but behind the scenes don't both reflash the ECM? Any good or bad points that make one better than the other except for the display portion?

Thanks,

Ricky

Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman
Thanks All!

Kevin I've been reading your write up, great job!

As far as tuners TTS vs. PV, is there any major differences in the way they perform their jobs? I realize the PV has the display but behind the scenes don't both reflash the ECM? Any good or bad points that make one better than the other except for the display portion?

Thanks,

Ricky
Yes, they both flash the ECM.

I have used both. I find the Power Vision much easier to use.

The TTS is an excellent product also, not as versatile, more cumbersome to use, but some say the TTS can create a better tune.

Here is a link from Wizard about the TTS-

TTS for Dummies

Here is a video on how to use auto tune on the Power Vision-

Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Thanks Kevin!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
MB1953
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, it is looking like I may have convinced you to come over to the Dark Side Now all you need to do is pull the trigger, then you can ride it down here for Biketoberfest or we can head up to GA and put some miles on. I would suggest a contest to see who could do the most mods first but I bet you would win!

Seriously, you will not regret going for the TG... as nice as your Ultra is, the Tri brings a whole new riding experience. I was initially skeptical, but it didn't take long for the 3-wheel ride to make a believer out of me (and my copilot!)

Ride safe!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Mark, my decision was greatly influenced by your experiences. Plus, I know the Harleys. '14 is a little different animal with the wet heads and canbus but it's just a learning experience!

I'm probably a month or so away from pulling the trigger. Have to get over the knee surgery and dealer told me to pull all the custom fabricated parts off my bike and return to stock. Doing that this weekend before surgery...

Ricky

Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

The TTS is an excellent product also, not as versatile, more cumbersome to use, but some say the TTS can create a better tune.
Kevin

Could you go more in depth with this comment please?

Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making the Change (Possibly)