Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ultra to Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 PM
kodiak
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Great machine!

I didn't have an Ultra, but traded my Fatboy on a 2014 Tri-Glide last month. Miss the two wheels and the pipes on the softail, but due to back and leg problems can't go back. It didn't take long to get used to the three wheels, you just have to ride it. Have not had any of the problems I have read about on some of the earlier production models and just love this thing. Rode it 150 miles today on backroads, two lane highways and the Interstate just to get away. It eats all three types of road up. In my opinion the Motor Company got this Trike right. It is a great machine and I look forward to many years of riding it.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Jlbflhtc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ultra to Tri Glide

We completed the short (to me) test Ride on a 2014 TG, all I can say is wow. After for riding on two wheels for over 40 years, it was like I've never seen a motorcycle. The bike felt like it did not want to turn. When I think about the turning issue, it is apparent it was me and not the bike. I now realize I was trying to ride the trike like a two wheeler, hence the problem. All was not consumed by the turning issue, driving on the freeways was awesome, it was smooth, responsive and I'm sure will be an impressive all day cruiser.

A lot of the contributors have said it will take some time to unlearn two wheels and learn trike and I understand. I'm committed and have scheduled a two day rental to test my two wheel vs trike turning theory.

If all goes well, and I'm sure it will, guess what my next motorcycle will be?

A Vivid Black 2014 Harley Davidson Tri Glide.

Thanks everyone for the help, I love this forum.

P.S. The boss approved the Tri Glide.

Last edited by Jlbflhtc; 07-25-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlbflhtc
We completed the short (to me) test Ride on a 2014 TG, all I can say is wow. After for riding on two wheels for over 40 years, it was like I've never seen a motorcycle. The bike felt like it did not want to turn. When I think about the turning issue, it is apparent it was me and not the bike. I now realize I was trying to ride the trike like a two wheeler, hence the problem. All was not consumed by the turning issue, driving on the freeways was awesome, it was smooth, responsive and I'm sure will be an impressive all day cruiser.

A lot of the contributors have said it will take some time to unlearn two wheels and learn trike and I understand. I'm committed and have scheduled a two day rental to test my two wheel vs trike turning theory.

If all goes well, and I'm sure it will, guess what my next motorcycle will be?

A Vivid Black 2014 Harley Davidson Tri Glide.

Thanks everyone for the help, I love this forum.

P.S. The boss approved the Tri Glide.

Hey! That's some good news!

I'm pretty sure you're going to have a fun couple of days on the rental.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 PM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I wrecked my 2011 Ultra Limited and had trouble walking afterwards but now I'm OK. I went to the 2012 TriGlide and didn't like it due to the turning and me trying to put the kickstand down every time I got ready to dismount.

I traded my 2012 TriGlide for a 2014 and really like the 2014. I still miss riding two wheels some but I truly love the TriGlide ride. Plus I'm so surprised at all the conversations from non-riders about the TriGlide. Lots of non riders really like the trike idea.

However, I still might put a kick stand on my TriGlide so my left foot will be happy.

Cheers.....on your future new purchase.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by MackAttack
I wrecked my 2011 Ultra Limited and had trouble walking afterwards but now I'm OK. I went to the 2012 TriGlide and didn't like it due to the turning and me trying to put the kickstand down every time I got ready to dismount.

I traded my 2012 TriGlide for a 2014 and really like the 2014. I still miss riding two wheels some but I truly love the TriGlide ride. Plus I'm so surprised at all the conversations from non-riders about the TriGlide. Lots of non riders really like the trike idea.

However, I still might put a kick stand on my TriGlide so my left foot will be happy.

Cheers.....on your future new purchase.
My '12 Tri Glide still has the mount on the frame for the kick stand.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

In the same boat as you JB and looking at the same resolve. Soon as my fresh from surgery knee gets where I can ride to the dealer, we are pursuing a '14 TG.

In 49 years of riding, never thought I would even consider 3 wheels but we all have realizations that smack us behind the head!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had a couple demo rides, my next ride will be a trike or an Indian then a trike. My biggest reason is after working in the yard all morning, going for a 2-up 2 wheel ride seems like work when I'm wore out. I have a Nightster left for 2 wheels. I'm just not ready to take the trade in hit. I'll advertise soon, their's someone looking for my bike.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I test rode a 2014 Vivid Black Tri Glide on Sat. I was sold. I loved it, and my lady's only complaint was that it was bumpy (suspension was not setup for two of us). So I now own it. And I guess all my time on ATVs really paid off, I hopped on and the test ride was just so much fun. No problems with turning or wanting to put my feet down or anything. Just fun!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 months ago if somebody told me I would be buying a new bike let alone a trike I would have said they were nuts but 9 weeks and almost 5000 miles I love my new TG and the learning was very easy , can run with most two wheelers , only put my foot down once , the hardest thing I had to learn was how to put my feet out on the hiway pegs , kept pulling on the handle bars to hold myself when I would lift my foot up and turn the bike , but got that figured out now all is well , longest trip so far was about 680 miles in one day , piece of cake

Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Will-Earl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 72 years old, just bought a 2014 TG last week. Great way to ride, when you can't stay on the 2 wheeler. No problem so far. Love the easy of riding. Just remember turn don't lean.

Quick Reply: Ultra to Tri Glide