Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ultra to Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Jlbflhtc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ultra to Tri Glide

I've been giving a lot of thought to making a move from my Ultra Classic to a Tri Glide. Believing this is the best physical move for me, I have been lurking on this site, keeping my eyes open and talking to friends who are TG owners. Not taking this lightly, I tried to use any and all logical means to dissuade this move. However it didn't work, I now have a TG test ride scheduled at my local dealer.

I have some concerns which I hope the forum contributors can help answer.

Is there a period of time where the decision to go from two to three wheels is regretted? How big is the TG learning curve?

Are there any advantages to purchasing a low mileage 2013(air cooled) vs new 2014(water cooled)?

Is the decision by HD not to include ABS an issue?

I'm looking forward to the test ride and will contribute my impressions.

Thanks in advance,

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I traded a 2010 Ultra for a 2014 Tri-Glide last month. I am 66 getting a hip/balance problem when riding the Ultra. I could not ride long distances.
I have no regrets, I have not taken a ride longer than 150 miles but I am able to do over 100 miles without a problem.
I haven't noticed an issue without ABS, the '14 has a linked braking system. You might want to look at if you go with a '14.
I went to the dealer to look at a '13 but for the price difference I choose the '14.

These are my experiences in the first month of owning a Tri-Glide. I have added Vance and Hines Power Duals with Rinehart 4.5 mufflers. Screanin Eagle tuner and air cleaner.

The wife has a 2008 Fat Boy but enjoys riding on the Tri-Glide.

Last edited by MCHOGG; 07-24-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Is there a period of time where the decision to go from two to three wheels is regretted? How big is the TG learning curve?
Sure, you gonna miss leaning into the curves, but I also miss playing softball, being in special ops at work etc...but comes a time when you have to give it up and move on to bigger and better things. The TG will alow a lot more riding, safer riding, safer for passenger if you have one, easier parking lots, u turns, traffic....there's a trade off and the TG wins.
As for the learning curve, yes..it will take a little time to get really comfortable with the TG, but not a whole lot of time. The more you ride it the more comfortable you'll become. I would ride it solo first, for a few miles to get confident with it.

Are there any advantages to purchasing a low mileage 2013(air cooled) vs new 2014(water cooled)?
Maybe price, I have a 2013 ultra and a 2014 TG...I think the TG runs stronger than the 13 UC. I may be wrong..wife says 14 cooler than our 2010 TG...

I don't think so, the 14's have linked braking....the brakes work great for me...

Last edited by Casper; 07-23-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM
WalterM817
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4-5 hundred miles will get you used to it.
New 2014 will trade better later but will cost you up front compared to the older models. The new ones do have a bunch of improvements forks heavier ,water-cooled heads,brakes integrated, parking brake handy as well as a bit more power I think with the balanced engine and a few other changes.
Riding a trike isn't boring but it's different. Those speed limit signs on curves are your friend till you get the feel of the curves on your own.
Really nice to not have to hold a heavy bike up with your leg in traffic and at stoplights. Easier for the wife to get on and off without turning you over in the driveway. My wife wanted ours more than I did but I have grown to really like it.
They take off a bit slower and learning to steer with both arms and hold the turn all the way through is different. No lean means it feels like it's trying to pitch you off the outside of the turn until you get used to it. Not a lot of downsides to them but they are different.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlbflhtc
I've been giving a lot of thought to making a move from my Ultra Classic to a Tri Glide. Believing this is the best physical move for me, I have been lurking on this site, keeping my eyes open and talking to friends who are TG owners. Not taking this lightly, I tried to use any and all logical means to dissuade this move. However it didn't work, I now have a TG test ride scheduled at my local dealer.

I have some concerns which I hope the forum contributors can help answer.

I'm looking forward to the test ride and will contribute my impressions.

Thanks in advance,
I had to move to 3 wheels far before I ever expected, and it was probably a full year before I was not pissed everytime I rode it...not at the TG, but at the truck driver that ran me over making it impossible for me to hold up a touring bike.

I am 3.5 years on a TG now, and thoroughly enjoy it...it is different, as Casper said, there are trade-offs...lots of benefits to the TG that can help compensate for no leaning in the curves.

I had practically no learning curve. If you've ridden and ATV, then you'll be right at home on a TG. If not, most seem to get the hang of it in less than 1000 miles.

'14 or '13-depends on what you're looking for. I had an '11 that I was perfectly happy with...but was offered a trade-in on a '14 that was a gift. Now that I have the '14, and have 3k miles on it, I am appreciating some of the improvements. See this thread for an overview-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...fferences.html

Brakes were great on the 2011 and better on the 2014. In 50k+ miles on TG's I've never been in a situation where I needed ABS.

Looking forward to hearing your report after your test ride!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I currently have a 2013 Ultra Limited. I'm test riding a 2014 Tri Glide on Saturday. Never thought Id be looking at one as young as I am, but having two compressed discs in my back and problems with both knees makes it difficult to hold up my Limited when 2-up. I have lots of time riding ATVs so I don't think the transition will be too hard if I do decide to change. Guess Ill know on Saturday. So I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Id be curious to hear what you think after your ride.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I'm thinking hard about this also. When my 14 crapped out on me while on vacation,the dealer gave me a TG till mine was fixed. I loved it,and really enjoyed the extra confidence. My problem with my current bike (Limited) is it's very hard and stressful on my knee to hold it up after my accident.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM
rdkng07
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm fit as a fiddle and can hold my Road King up well enough, but I am going to get a trike cause they look like fun. Also I want to pull a camper and would like the extra wheel and brake.

Saw a 2011 in merlot and black that gives me a chub-rock, but they want 28K, that ain't happening. Keep looking I guess...

Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Rocket59
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I made the leap from two wheels (2012 Road Glide Ultra) to a Tri Glide this year. I miss two wheels sometimes but the hip pain after a full day of riding was too much. Balance was just starting to be a concern. The adrenline rush isn't quite the same but the wind in the face is.

The learning curve isn't all that bad if you think about it starting out. The Lehman video on the web and some parking lot practice (as well as the Comfort Lift) all take care of improving comfort.

I had ABS on the Road Glide - loved it. 6 calipers with ABS would pull that big bike down in a hurry. Brakes on the trike are linked - not bad but just not as great as my Roadie (course I'm also pulling down more weight now).

Overall, yeah I still miss two wheels and the Roadie but not enough to go back. At the end of the day I can do a couple hundred miles and not be as tired or hurting nearly as much.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default thoughts

I too have been lurking here for a while. Traded my 09 ultra for a 12 tri glide, so I can't answer any 14 questions. My biggest reasons were a gravel road and being a little vertically challenged. At first I thought maybe I made a mistake. After a 1000 miles I really stared liking it, Gayle told me I will like it, and now I love it! Hope this has helped you some.

Quick Reply: Ultra to Tri Glide