Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ready for New Front Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Ready for New Front Tire!

I have 13,750 miles on my 2013 Tri-Glide....measured in the "red" area...will need a new front tire before the Canada trip next month. Bought front tire at ladies garage party in May w/20% coupon..cost me $100. Most of my riding is interstates/flat country roads. Running 36#/front and 26#/rear tires.

What kind of mileage are you getting on your Tri-Glide?

Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Have 27000 on my 13. got 20000 on original front. Replaced it with a Michelin Commander 2 and at 7000 it's half down. The mich is a little squirly when windy and from truck winds. I think maybe cause it has 2 ply sidewall instead of Dunlops 3 ply.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
I have 13,750 miles on my 2013 Tri-Glide....measured in the "red" area...will need a new front tire before the Canada trip next month. Bought front tire at ladies garage party in May w/20% coupon..cost me $100. Most of my riding is interstates/flat country roads. Running 36#/front and 26#/rear tires.

What kind of mileage are you getting on your Tri-Glide?
I'm now on my 3rd Dunlop on the front and after getting 22K+ on the first two saw no reason to switch brands. I run 35 PSI year round.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am at 10K and had it in for the maintenance, got a call from the shop saying the tire was in need of being replaced. Was glad to see others and what type of mileage they got so now I know what to expect.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Don't know if it's possiable, but most Wing Trike riders replace their front tires with a rear bias ply tire made for a sport touring bike, getting 20,000 plus. I had one on my GW trike, Bridgestone Battle Ax, at 20,000 still looked great.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got 25k out of my orignal tire, could have gotten 2k more, but was putting new chrome wheels on and decided to go ahead and put on a new one. Stayed with the same tire.

Barbara, like you I run 36 psi front and 26 psi rear. My riding is pretty much the same as yours.

Here's something to think about. Could it be that the material in the roads here in Ohio are different than Idaho)? I've noticed in my travels through OK and TX, their highways seem to have a rougher texture than other states I've benn through. Just some "food for thought".

Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Postal Trucker
I got 25k out of my orignal tire, could have gotten 2k more, but was putting new chrome wheels on and decided to go ahead and put on a new one. Stayed with the same tire.

Barbara, like you I run 36 psi front and 26 psi rear. My riding is pretty much the same as yours.

Here's something to think about. Could it be that the material in the roads here in Ohio are different than Idaho)? I've noticed in my travels through OK and TX, their highways seem to have a rougher texture than other states I've benn through. Just some "food for thought".
Ah, that might explain the wide range of mileage some are getting, others are not. And, whether individual states fix their roads. Material used on roads also comes into the equation. Thanks for that info PT.

I may be able to squeeze another 1K on front tire, but don't want to be stuck in Podunk City and pay for a new tire!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over 25k miles on a Dunlop MU85HB rear tire mounted in reverse. Its a little over half worn.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Over 25k miles on a Dunlop MU85HB rear tire mounted in reverse. Its a little over half worn.
Reverse mounting is what the wing trikes are running, getting very high mileage out of the bias ply tires....

Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Postal Trucker

I've been living in FL for about two years and noticed that many older paved roads here have an aggregate of crushed shells that create a very rough service. I talked to other locals here that have replaced their tires (bikes) at 6K miles. I recently replaced my front tire at 20K but that was mostly riding on VA, NC roads.

Quick Reply: Ready for New Front Tire!