Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Wheels Stained, Corroded, Etched

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts
Default TriGlide Wheels Stained, Corroded, Etched

We departed for Sturgis with our Tri's wheels in perfect condition. Clean and shiny. We trailered her to Sturgis and then to Yellowstone. Riding in both the Sturgis and Yellowstone areas we put about 500 miles on her.

Somewhere in the Sturgis or Yellowstone riding we got something on the OEM aluminum wheels that stained them and actually etched the aluminum. If you look closely at the attached picture you will see:
- the black streaks are actually slightly etched into the metal.
- the little dull specs are also etched into the metal.

I tried everything in my arsenal to clean this crap off. The only thing that helped was 0000 steel wool with WD40. Even with this all the "stains" seemed to leave the metal etched.

WTF...in retrospect, who ever heard of aluminum wheels not being clear coated from the factory.

So...has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Any ideas what might have caused it?
Any ideas on how to clean it off...including what looks to be etched?

I am considering having them chrome plated. Haven't had that priced yet, but hopefully that will be cheaper than replacing them with the Harley chrome wheels.

Attached Thumbnails TriGlide Wheels Stained, Corroded, Etched-image.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the little pits are on my wheels to , the black marks are weird , almost looks like the black on the wheel is running , would like to know if it is possible to coat the wheels before the pitting starts

Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out ***** Shiny, he has great quality chromed wheels (with exchange) for about half the price of the same factory wheels. He also has Baby Moons that enhance the rear wheels. I purchased his wheels last fall and couldn't be happier.

I think he is in CA.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 PM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First check to see if it is brake fluid. That stuff is nasty. Next try Armor-All glass cleaner WITHOUT ammonia. http://www.armorall.com/product-type...FbTm7AodHhwAAQ Spray, wipe, then wipe off with a rag dipped in very hot water.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Postal Trucker
Check out ***** Shiny, he has great quality chromed wheels (with exchange) for about half the price of the same factory wheels. He also has Baby Moons that enhance the rear wheels. I purchased his wheels last fall and couldn't be happier.

I think he is in CA.
Postal Trucker:,We are about 75 miles from ***** Shiny. Will be making a ride there this week. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Third year on my ***** Shiny chrome wheels and they still look new.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Postal Trucker:,We are about 75 miles from ***** Shiny. Will be making a ride there this week. Thanks for the tip.
From what I've heard on here, Shiny won't take anything that is pitted or stained. Because they use your wheels as core & give you a set already plated. But maybe he will do yours for you & give them back to you without a warranty.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:45 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem,Couldn't believe they hadn't clear coated them,
Mine were really bad after the first day out, Sooo I had them painted, no more do I have to worry about the wheels corroding, Wash and forget,

Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
From what I've heard on here, Shiny won't take anything that is pitted or stained. Because they use your wheels as core & give you a set already plated. But maybe he will do yours for you & give them back to you without a warranty.

The ones I sent back were pitted and streaked from the HD brake pads. He didn't reject them.

TriGeezer, also check out his polished rotors and spacers for the front wheel. The rotors arre polished so well they look chromed.

A note as to his customer service and quality. A friend ordered his wheels and the tire installer messed up the front rim, he called ***** and the rim was replaced at no cost.

Last edited by Postal Trucker; 08-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Too bad ***** Shiney can't do 14's unless I am missing something?

Rax

Quick Reply: TriGlide Wheels Stained, Corroded, Etched