Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Oil Blowing from air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
rdrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Blowing from air cleaner

Just finished a 6000 mile cross country trip on my '11 triglide...great trip and the trike performed well except for oil blowing from the air cleaner flying onto the right rear fender and some onto the passengers backrest. This happened on days that were long, hot, and high speeds. Engine is stock, SC high flow air filter with stage one download by dealer. Oil was not overfilled. Stopped at one dealer and was told it was not uncommon on long hard rides to blow some oil....not really buying this explanation at all. Anyone had this experience and how did you filx it...I got to ride this back from CA to Fl in a month and would like to take care of the problem...Thanks

Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 AM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdrunner
Just finished a 6000 mile cross country trip on my '11 triglide...great trip and the trike performed well except for oil blowing from the air cleaner flying onto the right rear fender and some onto the passengers backrest. This happened on days that were long, hot, and high speeds. Engine is stock, SC high flow air filter with stage one download by dealer. Oil was not overfilled. Stopped at one dealer and was told it was not uncommon on long hard rides to blow some oil....not really buying this explanation at all. Anyone had this experience and how did you filx it...I got to ride this back from CA to Fl in a month and would like to take care of the problem...Thanks

This is something that is quite common on the Harleys. Most people just run the oil level in the center of the stick and this helps but I have found a very cheap remedy. Put your trike on the rag!
Go to the store and go to the womens sections and buy some maxi pads that women use. Peel the sticky tape off of it and roll it up with the sticky side inward. You can then shove this roll in the bottom of your air cleaner between the air filter and the cover (this is assuming that you have the factory air cleaner). This catches any dripping. I change this out when I change the oil filter. No more drips!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I had the SE255 cam and S&S lifter install, mine doesn't do it anymore, even in this Florida heat. Don't ask me why. Anyway, if you read through past posts, a temporary fix was to drop the oil level by a half quart. This seemed to work for many.
BTW, you need to get rid of that excess oil from the A/C. If you have the Stage I filter, buy the K&N filter spray cleaner. Take the element out, spray soak it in the cleaner, and wash it in water. This should stop the spitting for a while (until A/C fills up again).

Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why is it bad ?

Why is it 'bad' for a little oil to get 'into' the a/c….. ? I've read this numerous times that it is a condition of an oil overfill but if one does not get any oil 'spit' … out the a/c then what's the problem ? I have a softail deuce so if 'too much' oil is in the reservoir … what's the issue (other than it overflowing and leaking out the fill hole..) ? What am I missing..?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
Why is it 'bad' for a little oil to get 'into' the a/c….. ? I've read this numerous times that it is a condition of an oil overfill but if one does not get any oil 'spit' … out the a/c then what's the problem ? I have a softail deuce so if 'too much' oil is in the reservoir … what's the issue (other than it overflowing and leaking out the fill hole..) ? What am I missing..?
The problem is where all that oil goes when the engine is running. It's getting sucked into the throttle body, coating the MAP sensor and turning into carbon deposits in the cylinders. Otherwise per the HD stealer it's normal. HA

Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
This for one thing,Note page 4 especially!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-filter-4.html

Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. The fix is on my list.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
dsmith300
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil out of air cleaner

greetings from wet n/east florida, new here to the HD forum, I have a Saxon Villian 07 w/96" S&S and same on oil pump. she blows/pours oil out of the a/c. have heard that it is a sump type pump and a "ball" or bearing stops oil from blowing out. she does this on start up and on the enricher. oil level is not the problem as read above. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks, d