Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Air Pressure in Rear Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Triguy3
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air pressure rear tires

Good article. My tire pressure is run at 38 psi cold. I use only nitrorgen if I use air for any reason I change it out when I get home. Same with the air suspension. And. No your roads in Michigan are second only to Kalifornia. Thanks.
Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
Yea, I thought so too......
In my garage lowering pressure to 21 psi for these lousy Michigan roads. . Our roads are the worst in the nation!!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Triguy3
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air pressure rear tires

28 psi NOT 38. Sorry

Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

I did lower mine to 20lbs, took a ride yesterday in 90 degree heat....felt like it stuck to the road a whole lot better (or else I'm getting real good in the turns)

Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
Just as a footnote to this conversation. About a year ago, my very good H-D air pressure gauge broke. Since then, I have been using one of those cheap pressure gauges that look like a pencil. You know, the ones that have a scale that pops out. I've been pretty faithful about maintaining my tire pressures on both my trike and also my trailer thinking that I will get better use out of my tires. So, yesterday, I bought a digital tire gauge made by Slime. I thought that I would check the tire pressures just to see how accurate my pencil gauge was compared to my new digital gauge even though I had just checked pressures yesterday morning. WoW! Not even close. One of my rear tires was 29psi, the other was 20.5psi. My trailer was even worse. One of those high pressure tires was at 96.5psi and the other was at 81.5psi ( they're supposed to be 90psi). I guess that, once again, I have been taught that you get what you pay for.
I also bought the Slime digital gauge awhile back....front tire read 55, HD gauge 35...?

Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Kevin.....what air for front tire? dealer service says they put 40# in front tire and 36# in rear tires...me thinks that's too much. Going on Canada trip next week....should I lower rear tires to 22#? Front tire #?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:01 PM
M&LG
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Kevin.....what air for front tire? dealer service says they put 40# in front tire and 36# in rear tires...me thinks that's too much. Going on Canada trip next week....should I lower rear tires to 22#? Front tire #?
I am on the south end of Vancouver Island on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada. I'm running 36# in the front and 26# in the rear. I am going to try #24 in the rear to see if they stick a bit better. I really don't have any problem with 26# other than noticing a bit of skipping when making sharp turns and twisting the throttle a little heavy from a standstill. Our weather is about the same as Washington State.

Last edited by M≶ 09-03-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by M&LG
I am on the south end of Vancouver Island on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada. I'm running 36# in the front and 26# in the rear. I am going to try #24 in the rear to see if they stick a bit better. I really don't have any problem with 26# other than noticing a bit of skipping when making sharp turns and twisting the throttle a little heavy from a standstill. Our weather is about the same as Washington State.
I like running 36# front, 26# rear also. Will be coming thru WA via Hwy 2/9 next Friday 9/12 (entering Canada at Sumas).

Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

I'm pretty sure the manual says 36 in front and 26 in rear. I was running 36 in front and 22 in rear, but am now 36 in front and 20 in rear.

Hope you have a great time up in Canada. We thoroughly enjoyed BC and look forward to going back there next year.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I also bought the Slime digital gauge awhile back....front tire read 55, HD gauge 35...?
Yeah, that's what I mean. We are worried about a 4 psi difference in our tires, and we're measuring the air pressure with gauges that have a 20psi variation? I guess that the answer is to buy a good gauge that will give you readings that you can repeat. By the way, good luck on your trip next week. Ride Safe and take lots of pictures. We're also leaving Sunday. We're heading to Key West via Louisiana.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:30 AM
09FLHXrLVNV
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding like a lazy boy

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
Just found this on Lehman Trike's stuff: For Your Info:
There has been a lot of confusion and misinformation out there when it comes to tire pressures for trike riders. Most all trikes have a motorcycle tire up front and automotive tires in the rear. The motorcycle compliance label has a recommended pressure for both the front and the rear tires. Now that your motorcycle is a trike are these still the pressures to use? Since we are trying to clear up the confusion and misinformation… the answer is yes and no!

Let me explain more fully. We, Lehman Trikes, have always recommended that you maintain the same pressure the motorcycle manufacturer lists on the compliance label for the front wheel. There is no reason to change this pressure. That’s the "yes".

The "no" is a bit more involved. First of all, the two automotive tires like those installed on the rear of your trike are a completely different design than the single motorcycle tire they replace. Now for some history. Lehman Trikes has been building and riding trikes for 25 years. Our founder, John Lehman, and many of the dedicated trike riders that work here have experimented for years trying to find what air pressure in the rear tires gives you the best ride, handling and tire life. What they found and recommended for years was an air pressure in the 20 to 22 psi range worked best.

So why, if you look at a current Lehman Trikes Owner’s Manual or the Owner’s Manual for a H-D Tri Glide, do you see a 26 psi recommendation for the rear tires? When I came to Lehman Trikes several years ago one of the things I was asked to do was to confirm with the manufacturer of our tires that they would support our recommendation of 20 to 22 psi air pressures for our application. What I learned is that no tire manufacturer will recommend anything less than 26 psi for standard automotive tires.
Where the 26 psi number came from is an interesting and somewhat involved story. There is a regulatory organization called the Tire and Rim Association (T&RA) which, of course, standardizes specifications for all different applications for tires and wheels (rims). One of the things that they provide is a load carrying capacity for each tire size at different air pressures. In their old reference books they listed load carrying capacities for tire pressures all the way down to 20 psi. I don’t know what year they changed but in 1999 they still listed load carrying capacities down to 20 psi.

Do any of you remember the big public fight that went on between Firestone and Ford Motor Co a few years ago? As I recall, people were rolling over in their Ford Explorer’s and Ford and Firestone were vigorously pointing the finger at each other. The final out come was that it was determined that people were reducing the air pressure in their tires to improve ride quality. That would not have been a problem but they failed to increase the pressure when the vehicle was more heavily loaded. As a result, the T&RA elected to eliminate the lower pressure ratings from their reference books. In support of the T&RA, the tire manufacturers will not support running their tires at anything less than 26 psi.

So how much difference does it make? Why not just run them at a higher pressure? Running the rear tires on your trike at a higher tire pressure has a dramatic impact on how the trike rides and handles. For each additional psi of pressure you increase the rigidity of the sidewall. At maximum pressure the sidewalls of your tires are quite rigid. Rigid sidewalls will increase the occurrence of the low speed "head shake" inherent in all three wheeled vehicles. They will also transmit more of the bumps in the road to you and your passenger. As you reduce the tire pressure it allows the sidewall to provide additional "cushioning" when riding over irregularities in the road surface. Certainly you do not want to reduce the air pressure too far because that will adversely affect the handling of the trike.
The "cushioning" effect of the sidewalls is, of course, reduced if you are using a tire that has very little sidewall. For example, those 18 or 20 inch rims that look so cool on the back of your trike do all the wrong things for ride comfort and low speed head shake. A standard 15 or 16 inch rim with a properly sized, properly inflated tire will give you the best ride quality and the least amount of head shake.

The most commonly used tire on the rear axle of a Lehman Trike is the P205/70R15. As a point of interest, in the 1999 T&RA reference book it lists a load carrying capacity of 1146 lbs for a standard P205/70R15 tire with 20 psi of air pressure.
Well I dropped my rears to 20 psi this morning...I'm in heaven now but may play with a lb or 2 up to see difference.

Quick Reply: Air Pressure in Rear Tires