Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Harley Freewheeler

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Freewheeler

Interesting day, Rode out to Santa Clarita to have lunch with other Triker friends. A friend is the Parts Manager at Old Road Harley and he told us they just got a Freewheeler delivered. We went there and got an up close and personal look. Nice looking machine. If I were interested in a new scoot I'd get this one instead of another Ultra Trike. No gages, no radio, no cruise, no water cooling, no lower farings, no tourpack, pretty basic trike. Reminds me of my old Dyna, but it is a Road King from the gas tank forward. The rear fenders look kind of like a Deuce.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cruise and reverse are standard on the FreeWheeler.
I got on one yesterday and it was very comfortable, im 5'8".My wife was with me and she has to step on the passenger board to get up and on her XXX ,with the FreeWheeler she just put her leg over the seat and slid on, shes 5'3", she also thought it was very comfortable for the driver. It has a lot of customizing potential. One thing I personally disliked was the rear fenders, all I could think of was everything off the road/tires going right up the exposed sides of the trunk.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it much better than the TriGlide. Stripped down yet still enough room to throw gear in, plus you can always add a sissy bar bag if needed. I dig it. If it didn't have ETC, I'd actually consider getting one.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Cruise and reverse are standard on the FreeWheeler.
I got on one yesterday and it was very comfortable, im 5'8".My wife was with me and she has to step on the passenger board to get up and on her XXX ,with the FreeWheeler she just put her leg over the seat and slid on, shes 5'3", she also thought it was very comfortable for the driver. It has a lot of customizing potential. One thing I personally disliked was the rear fenders, all I could think of was everything off the road/tires going right up the exposed sides of the trunk.

When I first saw this I liked it a lot. Then my eye caught the length of the rear fender and thought, what were they thinking? Not only will all the road debris hit the inside back of the trike but where else will it land? I pity the guy in back of one of these.
Don't think there is anything you could do to extend protection without it making the trike look bad.
The last stripped down version they made a few years back had better fenders. I wasn't able to afford one then but I can buy one of these now.
I do think I am going to wait just a bit to see how owners like those short fenders. A trike is in my very near future though.
I had thought I wanted a touring bike and was looking for a deal on one. The more I thought about their weight and my bad back and now knees I thought it might be more than I could handle in a few years. I don't take long trips at most a few hours each way. This bike at the price point seems to be the answer. time will tell I guess.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I am amazed at the growing number of trikes and trike conversions I see on the road. Is that a sign of our aging society? I think Harley made the right move introducing a trike at a lower price point. I need to get to a dealer to see the real thing.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
I am amazed at the growing number of trikes and trike conversions I see on the road. Is that a sign of our aging society? I think Harley made the right move introducing a trike at a lower price point. I need to get to a dealer to see the real thing.
Yep, us baby boomers are getting older and still want to enjoy the ride, wind and adventure. We abused our bodies and are paying for it, bad knees, backs and hips. 800 pound touring rigs are becoming harder to balance two up at slow speeds and stops, heavey traffic etc...some of our passengers have the same issues and climbing on the back of a touring bike is a difficult manuver...ugly at times...so yes, you'll see more and more trikes out there. Plus, we have more expendable income, kids left the nest, making better salaries ( longer on the job ) and can afford the more expensive Tri Glides...

Just facts of life...

Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I want to see one, the pictures they look good. I think they will be a big seller, hard to fork out over 30 grand for a trike when in your 60's and want to save your money and not over spend.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 461 Likes on 233 Posts

I saw one this morning at Buffalo Harley I was there this morning while I was getting my bike inspected looks pretty cool and like others have said customizable

Old 08-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Low budget Dan
I saw one this morning at Buffalo Harley I was there this morning while I was getting my bike inspected looks pretty cool and like others have said customizable

Only the black ones seem to be showing up first at dealers, is that the color you saw?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM
guitar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are neat looking and I sure think there will be a niche for them. As for me I like the tour pak, the trunk and all the other amenities on our Tri Glide. I'll stick with it.

Quick Reply: Harley Freewheeler