Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Stage 1 (+other stuff) Done! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Stage 1 (+other stuff) Done! (Long)

First off a big Thanks to FuelMoto. They helped me decide on the exact components I wanted and delivered them on time, at a good price.

I went with a stainless Jackpot head pipe and 4" Jackpot mufflers. Installation was normal and straight forward. Fit and quality of the Jackpot products is great.

Harley did us wrenchers no favors when they went to the wet head. Due to not being able to remove the right side lowers, getting to the front exhaust bolts are quite a pain, especially the inside one. I found a 1/2" combination wrench worked better than anything.

I did find one of the hydraulic lines (not sure which, didn't trace it) wanted to lay directly on the head pipe back side. Nothing a couple of tie wraps didn't take care of but I didn't realize it until after the heat shields were on. Front one has to come back off to really get in there.

Loading up the custom map FM sent in the PV-2 was a breeze and after 200 miles on Sunday, the map seems spot on for the setup. I'll run the AT when I get a chance.

AN Big Sucker is always a simple install but I didn't think about getting a cover for the TB wiring until after it was on. Picked up a cover from the dealer (61300110), started to install then realized you have to remove the top TB support. UGH! Can't get to the bolts with the tank bolted in so I'll pull tank and do that one day this week. I want to run my PV-2 cable up to the front anyway.

Overall I am very pleased with this setup. Deep rumble from the exhaust and a strong power increase.

Other mods included:
Harley Reach handlebars, relatively simple installation with only having to dissect the fairing side TGS connector for internal wiring. One note, the factory can-bus wiring is barely long enough to reach. It does but the bend radius is tighter than I like so I will order a 6" set of Guerilla extensions from somewhere. Bars work good for me and take most of the stress off of my shoulders.

Avon Black Velvet grips, throttle side fit perfect. Clutch side had to be modified. Even though these are spec'd to fit a '14, the left side is not designed for the new switch housings. Nothing my bench top belt sander couldn't fix but if you don't have access to such, it could be a problem. BTW, I hate the left side switch design! To me it is a PITA to remove, replace! Throttle side is easy.

Harley Road Zeppelin seat, easy install once you get the accessory wiring harness routed into the seat area. Harness could stand to be about 6" longer! So far I love the seat, no butt ache yesterday in almost 200 miles. Something I could never do on the stock seat.

I do have to work out a method to raise passenger floorboards. Seat raises my already height challenged wife up to a point where she can hardly reach the floorboards. Owners manual says these things are adjustable, but mine are not. Only one position they will bolt into. I have a set of Baron's floorboard risers around here somewhere I tried on my UC. Will try those IF I can find them! Trying not to buy the Reach ones from Harley, to me they are way too expensive for what they are. Don't even suggest the Rivco or Kuraykn ones, wifey hates both.

I had a Kuraykn back rest kit in my shop that I had used on my Ultra for a bit until I went with a Mustang seat. I spotted it while looking for something else and wondered if I could make it fit on the TG. Low and behold it fit perfect with only the addition of 2 washers for spacers. All the mounting bolts are there and is truly a bolt on.

Also picked up a rear bumper at the dealer but it isn't installed yet.

Sorry for the length! Hope this helps anyone thinking about these mods!

Lilman

Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Nice, I need to do much of the same....winter project

Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Talked with a friend the other day about how the accessory plug worked on his '14 vs previous years (I'm waiting on my Road Zeppelin to return from the repair shop). He told me where to find the plug (under the left cover), but he also said it wasn't long enough. Said HD does have an extension plug for around $25 (cheaper than the usual "Hundred Dollars" we usually pay).

Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Note to everyone....

Harley Throttle Body Cover 61300110 WILL NOT work with a Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Back to the dealer it goes..... unless someone here wants it.

Postal, I got the kit Zeppelin instructions said I needed, 69200722. About $24 from my dealer. It's long enough but just barely. I had to un-bolt the BCM plate to get the connector up under the seat far enough. Routing around the back there was no where enough length.