Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2015 Freewheeler... Am I the first??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Love it!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
wallyjar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations

I saw the Freewheeler Wednesday and all I could say was why did I buy 2014 SGS 5 weeks ago?

If I thought I would not loose a bunch of money I would trade my SGS with 900 miles in on the Freewheeler today.

Hindsite.....

Last edited by wallyjar; 09-04-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM
ELVISTO
Cruiser

That's fantastic Screwball, congratulation on your new ride

Heard today that the freewheeler will not be coming to the UK for some time,

Old 09-04-2014, 04:46 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Default freewheeler

what model did they trike? maybe fatboy?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 PM
rdkng07
6th Gear

Congrats, I am glad to see Harley build another trike. I will admit though, I wished it would have been a Road Glide.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by eighty80
Congrats,..... did you do any demo or test ride before you bought it??

No, we didn't. We bought the first trike after wife was treated for a rare cancer. Pretty bad prognosis when they started. She suffers from Peripheral Neuropathy, no feelings in her legs from the calves down, and no feelings in her hands. After she learned to hold things again, and walk she wasn't ready for a rocking chair so we bought the '09 Tri-Glide. After we changed the clutch so she could pull the lever we left So. California and rode to Las Vegas. Wife isn't a quitter! 2 years later I had heart problems so we bought her a new '11 and I inherited her '09. I have only had one other bike with a fairing, windshield, and all the other goodies. SO, when I say the Freewheeler I fell in love. Looked like my old Dyna and Road King. No frills just motor and go. Put a deposit down on the phone, road to the dealer and signed a bunch of papers and drove 100 miles through the canyons in the desert. Ambient temps were in the high 90's and I was wearing shorts. No hot feet, no toasted legs.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

First 100 miles riding in the canyons and twisties. It was in the high 90's out here. Vesta and I ran San Francisquito Canyon from Lancaster to Santa Clarita. No heat problems, the scoot ran fine. Steering is much easier then the Tri-Glide, and the breaks are superb! The foot petal operates both front and rear through a proportioning valve. Plenty of power I guess because the trike is black..... and about 300 pounds lighter.

Trunk is very adequate, but remember most of the bikes I have owned didn't have trunks, saddle bags, or tour packs. Lots of empty space on my old Tri-Glide. I ordered a drivers back rest, luggage rack, and sissy bar. I may get a bat wing windshield from Memphis Shade for our long trips, but right now I love the wind in my face. Never had a problem with 'wind buffeting' actually, don't really know that that is.

All in all, I'm very satisfied!

The dealer (Antelope Valley Harley) and saleslady Kelly Rice really bent over backwards for us. We have purchased 6 Harleys from her at this dealer. Out the door price was $31,500 including accessories, and the extended warranty. They gave me a 30% discount on parts, and free labor installation. Also first service is free. 20% Discount for the first year on any stuff for the trike. They gave us $20,000 in trade for my 2009 with just under 50,000 miles, bald tire, and needing breaks. We had $2000 in Harley reward Dollars so the payoff is about 10 grand.

I'm a terrible impulse buyer, the first time I rode it was after I bought it. Same with the trikes. After almost 50 years of riding I have learned that you have to adapt to the bike, the bike won't adapt to you. Every new bike or trike will run, drive, steer, break differently than the one it replaced. I have always preferred Porsches to Cadillacs, I have a monster MP3 player in my pocket with enough music for a 2 week ride. Best bikes I have ever owned were Dynas or Softails. This new trike is as close as I will get to the 'good old days' I'll be 75 when the warranty runs out so I'll probably keep this one a while.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Nice report, does HD make a rack for the top of the trunk? That would come in handy for touring...

Old 09-05-2014, 02:17 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bullet 10
what model did they trike? maybe fatboy?
I believe the Roadking would be more accurate. It's touring frame based.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
No, we didn't. We bought the first trike after wife was treated for a rare cancer. Pretty bad prognosis when they started. She suffers from Peripheral Neuropathy, no feelings in her legs from the calves down, and no feelings in her hands. After she learned to hold things again, and walk she wasn't ready for a rocking chair so we bought the '09 Tri-Glide. After we changed the clutch so she could pull the lever we left So. California and rode to Las Vegas. Wife isn't a quitter! 2 years later I had heart problems so we bought her a new '11 and I inherited her '09. I have only had one other bike with a fairing, windshield, and all the other goodies. SO, when I say the Freewheeler I fell in love. Looked like my old Dyna and Road King. No frills just motor and go. Put a deposit down on the phone, road to the dealer and signed a bunch of papers and drove 100 miles through the canyons in the desert. Ambient temps were in the high 90's and I was wearing shorts. No hot feet, no toasted legs.
Your wife sounds like an amazing (and tough) lady. Good on her to keep doing something she loves and that you both enjoy doing together.

Quick Reply: 2015 Freewheeler... Am I the first??