Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

CB watts out put

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Namvet1966
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB watts out put

Anyone know the real/actual watt output for the 14 Tri Glide, mine seems very low.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Namvet1966
Anyone know the real/actual watt output for the 14 Tri Glide, mine seems very low.
4 watts. Any more and you're breaking the law, plus most CBs that are putting out illegal power sound like crap.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Namvet1966
Intermediate

Yes, I know what the legal limit is, but the Tri Glide has a lousy cb radio with very high SWR readings from the stock antennas which may have damaged the finals in the radio, so has anyone check the output with a meter?? Checked mine with stock antennas and was only 1 to 1 1/2 watt with modulation, very low but the dealer says it works cause it can transmit to another bike 20 feet away.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:03 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Namvet1966
Yes, I know what the legal limit is, but the Tri Glide has a lousy cb radio with very high SWR readings from the stock antennas which may have damaged the finals in the radio, so has anyone check the output with a meter?? Checked mine with stock antennas and was only 1 to 1 1/2 watt with modulation, very low but the dealer says it works cause it can transmit to another bike 20 feet away.
You're welcome? Wow... I may have answered the question differently had it be asked like your second post, besides maybe you already know the answer...

Old 09-05-2014, 02:25 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser

Check the ground plane in the tour pak for a solid ground wire connection from the antenna.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

NamVet, you already know about Sierra Electronics. I know they can check and set the SWR's on your CB not sure about the power output.

Since they aren't too far away from you, and it would be a nice day ride, you may want to call them and check.

I remember back in the day, they used to sell and service CB's for all the big name trucking company drivers around this area, as well as set them up in their bikes.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

The Power should show 3.5 to 4.0 watts on a dead carrier. (No Modulation) You don't have a sideband.
The big problem with a motorcycle doesn't have a ground plane to work off of. Also the antenna is at an angle not right angles with anything else. I checked my SWR on my Trike & it was over 3! But I can talk about 1.5 miles. I'm still working trying to get the SWR down. It should be below 1.5:1.......
Harley doesn't want anything to do with diagnostic of the CB. Like others have said, If it will transmit 20 feet that is all they want. And you are correct about the high SWR taking out the finals ! It Will !

Old 09-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
The Power should show 3.5 to 4.0 watts on a dead carrier. (No Modulation) You don't have a sideband.
The big problem with a motorcycle doesn't have a ground plane to work off of. Also the antenna is at an angle not right angles with anything else. I checked my SWR on my Trike & it was over 3! But I can talk about 1.5 miles. I'm still working trying to get the SWR down. It should be below 1.5:1.......
Harley doesn't want anything to do with diagnostic of the CB. Like others have said, If it will transmit 20 feet that is all they want. And you are correct about the high SWR taking out the finals ! It Will !
Sloufoot, what have you done to get the SWR's down? I think a few of us would like to try the same, not being tech savvy with CB's.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Namvet1966
Intermediate

I went with a two foot Fire Stick antenna that has adjustment on the tip and used the adapter to fit the HD mounting that Sierra sells and have the SWR down under 1.5 across the entire band, Looks pretty good too, will test it out this weekend.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:24 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBobs
4 watts. Any more and you're breaking the law, plus most CBs that are putting out illegal power sound like crap.
One has nothing to do with the other, don't connect the two issues together.
"sounds like crap" is not a measurement, it is an opinion, and has absolutely no relationship to RF power output.

Quick Reply: CB watts out put