Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
HDSTORMDANCER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some assistance

HI Everyone,

Me and the wife are taking a bike trip at the end of the month. We are heading to the balloon fest in New Mexico. We are travelling from York Pa. I would like to know if any of you have any good things to say about this balloon fest and the scenic roads we should take. We plan on going down the Natchez trail in Tennesse and getting off around Jackson Mississippi. Then heading to Texas to see a buddy. The balloon fest starts this Oct 4th. Would love to hear about good places to eat and visit. Thank you all who responds.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Depending on how much time you have, there are plenty of good BBQ joints in Texas, around Austin, Franklin BBQ is one, The Salt Lick, the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame in Waco, head further south the San Antino and see the Alamo.
The North section of the Natchex Trace is good but it becomes boring after awhile to me.
Off the trace is Tupelo MS, birthplace of Elvis.

My wife so wants to see the Great Baloon Race, or at least see when all the rigs light up at night..have fun..be sure and take lots of pictures so we all can see...

Old 09-11-2014, 01:04 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...I cant comment on the balloon thing..but I am sure you will like it.....the natchez trace trail...is very good....did it about three years ago.....I went and saw a buddy in texas this last year....in Lubbock....enjoy your ride...

Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're near Austin, TX, go west toward Fredericksburg, TX to the little town of Lukenbach. You may find Willie, Waylon and the Boys.

Seriously, when in New Mexico go to Angel Fire, NM (east of Taos on U.S. 64), there is a Veterans memorial. A doctor first dedicated it to his son who died in Vietnam, the it was dedicated to all Vietnam Vets and since dedicated to Disabled Vets. Although not huge, it is a site to see and sits on a plateau in a National Forest. The ride there is pretty amazing.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:15 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

This time of year, the weather here can change at the drop of a hat. Be prepared to shut it down for the night due to bad weather. we carry a tablet with the national weather service app and check it every few hours when we are on the road. Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have never seen 500 hot air balloons in the air all at one time in all shapes and sizes put it on your bucket list. Not to mention that the weather in Albuquerque in October is the best of the whole year.
My advice...if you plan to attend the Balloon Fiesta get up early, dress warm and bring your golf clubs for after. Also be sure to visit the local Harley dealers and meet all the great folks there! They will have special Tshirts to memorize the occasion.
Be sure to visit local Mexican food restaurants and ask for green chile!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
If you have never seen 500 hot air balloons in the air all at one time in all shapes and sizes put it on your bucket list. Not to mention that the weather in Albuquerque in October is the best of the whole year.
My advice...if you plan to attend the Balloon Fiesta get up early, dress warm and bring your golf clubs for after. Also be sure to visit the local Harley dealers and meet all the great folks there! They will have special Tshirts to memorize the occasion.
Be sure to visit local Mexican food restaurants and ask for green chile!
Great suggestions...I have to make this one year..

Old 09-12-2014, 01:12 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have it too good over there,

That must be some sight to see, 500 hot air balloons at one time, Yes pictures please , I'd love to be there,

Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had the good fortune of being in Albuquerque during the Balloon Fiesta on three occasions. Make sure you attend at least one Mass Ascension and get to the field early. It is an awesome sight to see all the balloons getting setup and filled before daylight. Then seeing them go up in stages.....

Twice I have been there the weather was very nice, cool mornings and mild afternoons. 2011 was the exception, it rained almost all week and was downright cold a portion of the time. That year I think they only got in one ascension. Saturday morning at the field was cold and wet with mud puddles everywhere. But it was still fun!

I absolutely love Albuquerque and in all my work travels it is my all time favorite place in the world. Some of my "must go to" eating places are The Owl Café, Frontier, Manny's and a little diner right on Central Ave. Route 66 Café I think, great burgers and milk shakes. Make sure you try a Green Chili Cheeseburger from Owl Café!

Check out the plaza downtown, they always have stuff going on during Fiesta. Ride the tram up to the top of the Sandia mountains. Whole bunch of stuff to do, impossible to do it all!

Hope this helps...

Lilman

Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have the time, do the "High Road To Taos" from Santa Fe to Taos and then the Enchanted Circle (Taos, Angel Fire, Red River back to Taos. Don't miss the Vietnam Memorial in Angel Fire.

Michael's in Taos has good Mexican food.

Bill

Quick Reply: Need some assistance