Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Looking at a 15 TG

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 PM
LKHA
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at a 15 TG

What questions do I need to ask. Commingled from 12 ultra and kind a lost. For what reason are people putting a rear lift kit? Compared to the ultra how does the storage rate?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Jlbflhtc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also came off a 2010 Ultra, I'm told most are installing a lift kit to prevent dragging the mufflers. I haven't had the need for this modification, but I'm told it is just a matter of time.
As for storage, haven't done a trip so I can't offer a comparison.
I'm happy with the decision to purchase a Tri Glide.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Jlbflhtc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Double post

Last edited by Jlbflhtc; 09-11-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Put the lift kit on our 14 trike. Yes it lifts the rear so your pipes don't scrape. It also allows you to lower the air pressure in the rear shocks which gives you a better ride and it helps the steering to be a little easier. For me it brought the back up enough the trailer sits straight it was a little nose down before.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

The lift kit question has been answered.
As for storage, top box is the same ( llittle bigger on 14/15 models)
you loose two saddle bags and pick up one large trunk. Touring should be about the same, creative packing needed on both two wheel and TG...

Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

The lift kit is a definite must. Tri-glide stuff also sells a tour pack relocation kit that is well worth the money

Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

How are you going to use it??? Just sold my 2009 Tri-Glide and bought a 2015 Freewheeler. We do 2 or 3 long rides a year, the rest of the time it is day rides, breakfast runs etc. You will be dragging around a trunk full of 'stuff' just to keep your trunk and tour pack full. I can't believe the things wife carries round all the time 'just in case'. Didn't do tuners, or lift kits. Had just over 50,000 miles, 10 states when I traded her. Enjoy the ride!

Old 09-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I came from an Ultra also and the lift kit was the first thing I did. To me, it does improve the ride and a little on the handling.

As for storage, we haven't done a long trip either but have one planned in 3 weeks. We had the saddlebag insert bags on the Ultra and told the wifey she had one of them to pack in. One for her, One for me and the tour pack for incidentals, jackets, etc. Once we got the TG, told her the same thing applies. One bag!

We do have the tour pack rack bag that gets thrown in somewhere collapsed just in case we need it (always buy junk and t-shirts). Also thinking about the fender rails and their small bags for trips like we have planned next year which will be 3 to 4 weeks. I don't want to go the trailer route.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Please enlighten this newbie. What does the lift kit consist of and what is a ballpark installed cost?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as storage goes, there is more space available than your Ultra. I went from a Limited to my trike. My girl and I took 5 days worth of clothes to Sturgis this year. We also bought 5 additional shirts each. Everything fit in the trunk. We kept rain gear, and incidentals in the tourpak.

The lift kit will keep you from scraping your mufflers, allow you to run lower air pressure in the shocks for a smoother ride, and make the steering easier.

Install of the lift kit should only take an hour. So cost of the kit, plus one hour labor. The kit consists of new axle side brackets that the shocks mount too.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 15 TG