Vendor For Sale Classifieds HDForums Sponsors/Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here!! Check it out.

The making of an LRS Custom etched windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default The making of an LRS Custom etched windshield

I'm sure most of you have read the thread "Project Cheapskate". That one has to go down in history as one of the best threads ever! During Batman's restoration, many of you forum members chipped in to help him out, and donated things he needed to complete the restoration. We decided to chip in a custom etched windshield. I thought it would be a neat idea to show you what is involved in making one of these from start to finish.

First, communication with the customer of what he/she wants or envisions on the shield. In this case, he goes by "Batman", so what better logo than the batman logo?
We start with a general image of the batman logo he wanted.

Next, we have to convert the image to a traced, black and white image. We then convert the file into a vector format. This is what our laser reads, and using a vector, it will not pixelate. You can zoom in as much as you want, and the edges will always be perfectly smooth.

Finally, any other additions, like text must be converted into a vector format as well. This image only shows part of the entire "Project Cheapskate", but you get the idea.

To be continued.......

www.longrideshields.com

Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor

Now that we have the image and text, we can etch it. We have exact outline files all ready to go of each size and type shield we have. We open up the right one, which in this case, I believe was a 9" Ultra.

Now, we import the image onto this shield outline, so we can position it perfectly.

I think it needs to be a bit bigger. So, I drag the corner and make it as big as I want.

This looks pretty good. He didn't want it too large. And, I have to take into account, I still need to add the text below it.

Now I need to add the text. Don't worry, the logo is still there.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor

Okay, once I'm happy with the layout, it's etching time. No pics of this part, but the first thing you need to do is lay a piece of white paper down, and then laser the shield outline only. This draws the outline on the piece of paper in the laser so we know exactly where to place the shield.

Prep a shield, place it in its spot, and run the logo and text.

You can just see the little laser there as it goes back and forth, etching one thin line at a time.

And then it moves on to the Batman logo.

Here's a better shot of the laser head there on the right.

Almost done.

That's all I'm going to show. I want to let Batman show you guys the final product when he gets it mounted up on his bike. This thread was never intended, or is in no way in any comparison to Batmans "Project Cheapskate" thread. He did a phenomenal job with his pics and detail descriptions for us to watch in aw of his long progress restoring that bike. My hats off to him and all of the talent and hard work he is and did. We just thought you might like to see how we do these custom etched shields, in the same detailed image and description as he did for us.

Thanks for checking it out.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Batman7349
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome process and an Awesome product. Thanks Again.
Batman....

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet, like an inkjet printer!

mikebaby

Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality Product...Quality Company...Quality Service...Quality Employees

Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM
cantonrider
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LRS is a great company..........could not be happier with my windshield. It's a 6" and has served me incredibly well.

Plus........what a great job on Batman's windshield. You guys rock.