VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Discontinuing the VROD???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Drydock
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been selling basically unchanged for 15 years, around 10,000 bikes a year. Its long paid for itself, and time for an update. Lose a few pounds, put another gear in the transmission, get it into a more compact chassis.

Come to think of it, that would make a dandy new Sportster . . .

Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
After all of the research that went into the V Rod engine, I still don`t see HD discontinuing it. I look for it to appear in another motorcycle format, maybe another cruiser version.....

Isn't it a porsche built v-twin that harley really had little to nothing to do with? I have no clue about the v-rod, it's the least appealing bike H-D has ever fielded to me. If you want a harley buy a harley. If you want a fast bike, buy a real fast bike because that isn't one.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
Isn't it a porsche built v-twin that harley really had little to nothing to do with? I have no clue about the v-rod, it's the least appealing bike H-D has ever fielded to me. If you want a harley buy a harley. If you want a fast bike, buy a real fast bike because that isn't one.
Maybe you should go back to post #6 and do a little actual research. It helps to make a point if you know just a little of what you speak.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 PM
cadiero
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drydock
Its been selling basically unchanged for 15 years, around 10,000 bikes a year. Its long paid for itself, and time for an update. Lose a few pounds, put another gear in the transmission, get it into a more compact chassis.

Come to think of it, that would make a dandy new Sportster . . .
I like this idea...
The Sportster hasn't been changed much since 2004, the V-Rod was introduced in 2001. Could be a great fit there to combine the two!
Harley could also use a mid-sized bagger, like a sport-touring bike. Think FXRT.

I ride a 2004 Sportster, and a BMW R1200RT. I would sure like to trade up into a Sport Touring Harley!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
I think it will end up getting cut down to just one bike in the next 2 to 3 years. I can't seem them chopping it off the block 100% because it would leave a void. I would still like to get my hands on a VRSCR and increase the fuel tank so you can actually ride somewhere. LOL
VRODS gave had five gallon tanks for many years. It was only the first few years that had that small tank.

I test rod a 2016 night rod special recently. Fantastic brakes. Engine was kind of soft on the low end. Mid range was ok. High rpm it got into its power band and I had to hold on. Ergonomics fit me perfectly.

It was as different from my Evo powered Heritage as can be and I still liked it but didn't see it as a bike good for riding around town due to the high rpm power band. I still liked it a lot though. I certainly liked it better than the Twinkies I road that day, even though it was not suited for my usage, whereas the Twinkies were better suited for me, than it was, but still paled in comparison to my Evo.

Last edited by Prot; 08-31-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

watched the video and at dealers show it was announced Mid Oct... Vrods are discontinued Sportster 72, Ultra Classic low, Fatboy Low

Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Qman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's all in the details...

Word is that Harley would have to rework the V-Rod engine in order to meet strengthening European emissions standards. Rather than investing in redesigning the engine, they're discontinuing the Revolution platform.

The economics make sense, especially since they already have an updated platform in the Street. Rumor is that the Street will get a boost from the current 500cc/750cc models, to a 1300cc version. I doubt it will measure up to the Revolution though. Despite the purists out there who never appreciated it, it's a rock solid power plant that can take a beating & never stop running - same can't be said for the Street.

But what do I know...I'm just own 3 V-Rods that'll beat the brakes off anything else in the HD lineup.

Q

Old 09-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

That is sad news indeed then. That motor is great! But the 4 years I owned my VRSCB, the dealer always seemed clueless as to working on it. Folks on the street seemed clueless as to what the bike was, aftermarket was somewhat limited. Sad that the aging HD owners will poopoo this bike and it will go away. I loved smoking touring riders who loved to brag about how much money they had in their motors. Open up that throttle and they got quiet quickly.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Took the opportunity to ride one at a Milwaukee 8 demo event Friday. I rode a 17 CVO Ultra 114, a 17 RGS 107, and a V-Rod. Guess which one impressed me the most?

Seriously, what a wasted opportunity. The bike hauls ***, weighs less, and handles ok. Steepen the neck, put a longer travel suspension on it and it could really be something.

I may just have to get one as my "fun" bike. I really like them. Never woulda guessed it.

The following users liked this post:
highplainsrider (02-12-2017)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The Revolution engine isn't done. Rumor on some of the V-Rod forums is that Harley has renewed the registered name "Street Rod". May be something interesting coming along in a year or so.

Quick Reply: Discontinuing the VROD???