Night Rod special touring ? no more bob

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
CooliosBandit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Rod special touring ? no more bob

Ok heres the deal

I own a street bob 06, it has 5000 miles.

The street bob is a good bike, confortable, low seat, it has nice sound if you have screaming eagle exhausts, its not too expensive.

Last weekend i saw a woman (lawyer looking woman) riding a Night rod special.

I wasn't interested by the woman, she had a too serious face... but i was interested by her Night rod special.

I find the Night rod special to be better looking bike than my bob. The night rod is cool, unusual, something not many people have and very sporty look.

With the exception of the front pedals which will require to be moved further back (more ergono-sport) i say that the night rod special is a very cool looking bike.

Heres the problem thou... I don't like the sound on that night rod. Well, actually, i couldn't hear any sound!?!!? And beleive me, i'm not deaf !!
Where's the hell is the potato potato potato ????
A Harley without a potato potato potato ???? Thats not fun dude... Now i want Harley to put on the market some potato potato exhausts because i will definately not ride something i can not hear.

A quick check on the web is giving me a few exhausts... but none that i like. Some of them are full straight pipes which is a bit too loud for a sport bike. I was wondering if anyone know any good looking half-pipe that could give me the potato potato (but not as loud as straight pipe) Anything "barely" street legal would do...

I've checked Vance, Screaming but they dont fit well on the night rod special (too much chrome).

On a different note, i saw a few Night rod with fearings. One VRSC was so much modded that i actually though it was a FLH. It had hard bags and fearing and even the fork was changed.

I haven't tried a VRSC with a fearing.. i hope you can still see the road with a fearing.. that would suck not being able to see a pothole coming. I can't imagine myself riding a Touring Fairing Night rod with a camera in the front and a LCD screen behind the fearing to see the road...

On a more serious note, is it stupid to buy a bike and change the bike 1 year later ? after 5000 miles ? i lose like 3-4 grands if do the trade.

If i buy a night rod special tomorrow, it would suck for me if Harley decide to build a new Touring Rod with potato potato sound next year..

Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Night Rod special touring ? no more bob

The "potato-potato-potato" sound will never come from a VRSC. It has its own sound, equally impressive IMO, but a 60 degree V-twin will never sound quite like a 45 degree V-twin. Your thoughts of waiting for a '08 with a closer to air-cooled sound are slim to none-----and slim just left the building.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rhineharts 2-2 staggered pipesis the closest you can get to the v twin sound, I know bec. I missed the sound of my Road king, that's whyI bought the rhineharts( my 2nd set on my v rod). The only thing is, I dont know if they make it for the DX. Also check out 1130cc.com and search for sound/ video clips of different exhaust and you might find the right sound you want. Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
mrohman63
6th Gear

As previously stated- you'll never get potato from the Rods. However- for the NRS there are numerous pipes to choose from. TAB Performance - CFR - Thunder Header - D&D - V&H - SuperTrapp- Rineheart...

Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of TAB, I had the rolled ones before I bought my rhineharts and they are definitely loud...so if you want loud look into the Tab performance pipes.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
CooliosBandit
6th Gear

alright, im going to check some of the aftermarket.. but which one would be the most quiet of all (beside stock) ?

Im looking for something a little more louder but without heartquake....

Straight open pipes are just too loud.. any suggestion ?

Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Nikker1985
Advanced

Listen man...
I think you are missing the point of Harleys, Choppers and customising all in all.
A Harley is for people that dont wanna go from point A to point B. Its for people who do it for the ride. They love their bike...more than they are supposed to do so...but its OK! Some people see a bike as a part of themselves.
What do I mean.
A Harley is ment to live forever, thus the huge body frame.
There are a million of customising options, that is why on Rallies you see 12000 bikes and every single one differs from each other.
After you ve been through rain...through **** with your bike...you cant give up on it just cause you found something that you think its better. For some of us, this would be like cheating on our wife...
And I personally dont think that one person who jumps from one Harley to another, or a person who owns 9 Harleys is more Harley than I am. I just think he is more of a Harley Owner. Now one who makes a trip to Europe with his 77' bike...now that is Harley.
Its ok for me to talk now...cause I own the bad *** Night Rod Special...and customising the **** out of it. But if some new better bike shows up...I wont sell "out" my bike.
Besides man...haven t you seen the endless customising options for your bike out there? You already own a badass bike. Use some upside down front fork with a big badass triple tree, custom paint it,. mess with the engine...use a freaking supercharger (imagine the look on that chicks face with the Night Rod when a Dyna overtakes her making that supercharger sound bzzzzzzz...awesome), rims, wheels, wide tire kit, exhausts, flames, skulls, clutches and disc brakes almost bigger than the wheels...Somuch stuff to do man...Somuch stuff. And the Dyna is a nice bike. Also fast and easy to tune.

Now as for your V Rod questions, footpegs come easily closer, I dont like that though.
The sound of a V Rod will never sound Potatoe like. It can sound freaking awesome though. I removed the cat and the mufflers from the stock exhaust. Its really loud and bass.
I advice you not to go for the V Rod. New better stronger bikes will always come out. Dont be looking for the best, make the best. Especially if you live in the USA, it is way cheaper to customise etc. In other countries...we have to pay twice as much for everything.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that had come out last year I may not have my Bob now. Love the NR Special. But not trading mine in for one.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 AM
CooliosBandit
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: knightenforcer

Rhineharts 2-2 staggered pipesis the closest you can get to the v twin sound, I know bec. I missed the sound of my Road king, that's whyI bought the rhineharts( my 2nd set on my v rod). The only thing is, I dont know if they make it for the DX. Also check out 1130cc.com and search for sound/ video clips of different exhaust and you might find the right sound you want. Hope this helps.
You had a road king ???

Thats the option i had in mine... actually im still not sure which bike to pick... Either Road king or Night Rod Special
If you have to do the move again would you still buy the night rod over a new king ?

How confortable is the night rod for long trip ? (road test don't allow long trip here) im trying to imagine myself riding a night rod without the potato potato, pata traaaatraa rrrrrr... potato potato

Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
CooliosBandit
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Nikker1985

Listen man...
I think you are missing the point of Harleys, Choppers and customising all in all.
A Harley is for people that dont wanna go from point A to point B. Its for people who do it for the ride. They love their bike...more than they are supposed to do so...but its OK! Some people see a bike as a part of themselves.
What do I mean.
A Harley is ment to live forever, thus the huge body frame.
There are a million of customising options, that is why on Rallies you see 12000 bikes and every single one differs from each other.
After you ve been through rain...through **** with your bike...you cant give up on it just cause you found something that you think its better. For some of us, this would be like cheating on our wife...
And I personally dont think that one person who jumps from one Harley to another, or a person who owns 9 Harleys is more Harley than I am. I just think he is more of a Harley Owner. Now one who makes a trip to Europe with his 77' bike...now that is Harley.
Its ok for me to talk now...cause I own the bad *** Night Rod Special...and customising the **** out of it. But if some new better bike shows up...I wont sell "out" my bike.
Besides man...haven t you seen the endless customising options for your bike out there? You already own a badass bike. Use some upside down front fork with a big badass triple tree, custom paint it,. mess with the engine...use a freaking supercharger (imagine the look on that chicks face with the Night Rod when a Dyna overtakes her making that supercharger sound bzzzzzzz...awesome), rims, wheels, wide tire kit, exhausts, flames, skulls, clutches and disc brakes almost bigger than the wheels...Somuch stuff to do man...Somuch stuff. And the Dyna is a nice bike. Also fast and easy to tune.
Dude i dont know what youre talking about... ive been riding harleys and jap bikes for 15 years.. under the cold rain shower thousands of times... im the only guy in this gang who use his harley to go to work under heavy rain.

As for customizing bikes, thats something optional. Its a perogative man, nobody is forced to mod a bike like you do. If you want to throw thousands of green bill on customization be my guess dude. Im not going to stop you.

Youre saying that Harley isnt for people who wants to go from point A to B... that not entire true man.
I see lots of people using their Harley to pick up their wifes.. Thats point A to B in my book..

I ride my harley and cruise for hours with friends going nowhere. But if you only buy a bike just to run nowhere all the time that doesn't mean you shouldnt use your Harley to go to work either.

A real biker is somebody like me who use his bike to go nowhere and to go to work. *** the car, use the bike... That to me is a real biker!

Now i think i have found a baffled exhaust that fit the night rod special.. and i will see my dealer today and try my best to come up with some good deals..

Quick Reply: Night Rod special touring ? no more bob