2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Speeds for V-Rods

What would be a top speed for ANY new V-Rod? Thanks, SC

Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a 28 tooth front pulley, and a 9,000 rpm rev limit, about 143-145mph.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Have to go with what RJ says. Mine's never been (much) over 100. Well, OK, I've never hit the limiter in 5th gear. I have hit it in the other 4 gears. (The Vic I was playing with quit when I shifted to 5th.)

Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too fast for the freeway... I still think a well built Sporty can get ya on the 1/4 mile! You guys have the HP/torque/high end but you got a lot of weight to drag too. Still got ya on the twisties!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
rjrivero
Tourer

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Too fast for the freeway... I still think a well built Sporty can get ya on the 1/4 mile! You guys have the HP/torque/high end but you got a lot of weight to drag too. Still got ya on the twisties!
You'd need to put about $10,000 into the motor of a sportster to get near a V-Rod in stock trim. So, if I put $10K in a V-Rod, you really think it would be close? Put a street rod against a sporty in the twisties, and you have a fun afternoon.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

The way I'm setup I can hit 172.7mph before I bounce off the rev-limiter... I didn't have my GPS, but I bounced...

Originally Posted by robzuc97

robzuc97, hate to break it to you, but start from scratch, we have about 100ilbs on a sporty lets just say 20% more weight... and almost 100% more power... it's not even close...

What is a "well built" sporster? A very few sportsters put out much more than 100 rwhp, most of those are not street-bikes, but drag only... So let's just use 100hp sporty so without rider you are around 5.5hp per pound... a stock V-Rod will make around 110rwhp (some more, some less, that's safe for an 08/09 mine made 114 stock, 118 w/a pipe change). So even at that conservative estimate, stock V-Rod = 5.8hp per pound... stock vs. well built sporty. Still wins, barely, but still wins, stock. Not to mention the V-Rod is geared way down since it revs so high, so my 100hp will pull harder than your 100hp gear for gear.

Sorry...

I'm makin' 160hp/120ft ilbs... wanna race?

Last edited by Herr Monk; 10-09-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

A stock D with an OK rider (me) and an excellent passenger (my wife) will give most Sporty riders a hard run in the twisties. For the price of a new new air filter and a couple of minutes with a drill, we can pick up another 10 ponies and (I think) about 5-8 lbs of torque. Sportsters are a blast to ride. I love 'em, but they ain't V-rods.
One of my favorite bikes of all time was my cousin's iron-head bobber with mild dirt tires. That bike ate up a lot of Arizona desert. He had longer shocks on the rear and heavier springs up front. Hmmm...maybe I need to find an 883 Roadster and strip it down...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser
Talking

Sporty, V-rod and a big Yawn . Any jap 600cc r rated will hand either one of you your rear on a silver platter. Half price / Twice the technolgy.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So there are V-Rod readers out there (and they took the bait)! I'm not knocking you; I'd love to have a Night Rod (only one I sit comfortable on) drooool. Was actually more curious to see if I could bait a few of ya since the V-Rod section usu. doesn't have a lot of posts! Watched both at the AHDRA out here in April (another one come Nov 2nd!) and didn't see spectacular time variations of V-Rods over Sportsters (just end gear top-speed). They were turning same basic times but at higher speed so that tells me they got it all at the end of the run. Will be dynoing next weeks at school and will be putting my XL on and let ya'all if I am boasting or have my hat in hand. Never in the twisties with the long wheel-base, tho, although I'm sure people can and DO out ride my "old a$$"! "Sporty, V-rod and a big Yawn . Any jap 600cc r rated will hand either one of you your rear on a silver platter. Half price / Twice the technolgy." Must be the guy a saw a couple nights ago I let pass me at 70MPH (don't need a "speed contest" ticket) after watching his taillights fade in the distance! Harley uses the same basic technology it's used for 100+ years and have seen a 500% increase in HP/torque; compare the output of a Shovel compared to an Evo! "Technology" has nothing to do with it, it's what ricers are made for. They burn their candles at both ends. How many late-model Jap bikes you seen compared to late model Harleys on the road? Any speed I get I PUT into it, not bought off the shelf. Aren't you in the wrong forum, anyhow? LOL

Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM
dynaguy
Cruiser
Talking

You let him pass. OK. Just saying i love my Wide Glide. I love my R6. To totaly diffrent rides. When wanting to go on day ride I WG it. IF wanting to let it rip guess what i break out. 7000 dollar yamaha Will haul . Spend 7000 on the v-twin you will still be hard pressed to even stay in site. Them jap tails lites fad fast and on a sporty there aint much you can do.

Quick Reply: Top Speeds for V-Rods