Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top 3 Complaints re: Night Rod Special

Other than quiet pipes, what are the top 3 gripes with the NRS

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have no serious gripes with the DX. Even believe the stock exhaust is quite nice. If I had a wish, it would be for a 6th gear. When cruising at 70-75mph, find myself wanting to shift. It was the same for the big twins when at 60-65mph. This was addressed, but the V-Rod tranny case is tight and it would be a challenge squeezing in a 6th gear... thus no 3rd party alternatives and until H-D redesigns or expands the case, we'll be with five. As noted, not a major gripe, just a wish.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

...I think you'll find that you get quite pipes with any new bike... that's not particular to the NRS.

1# Clam shell seating position: It needs either mid-controls, or more pullback/rise in the handl-bars to be comfortable for long rides. Unless you have really, really long arms.

2# Black doesn't stay black. Mine is my primary ride, I ride it all the time, through everything, if there isn't snow in the ground. It didn't take long for the black on the front-end to start coming off, and HD will not warranty it. I'd also put the regulator in there with this, in 08 it got moved down to where it is on the Big Twins, and it get's blasted with debree as you ride, so it's no longer black either.

3# Mentioned above, it really needs a 6th grear. I spend a lot of time over 80mph, that is over 5000rpm in top gear. That is a little annoying for hours, and also puts it out of range of the narrow-band 02 sensors, so you're in open loop, and not able to run to super lean 14.6 A/F ratio safely you can below 5000rpm for cruising... so my gas millage really takes a nose dive at around 80mph, when I go over that 5000rpm line, and go into open loop.

I could adjust it to fix, but I don't want it running that lean in open loop, and I don't want to sacrifice power. Would just be nice if they had wide-band 02 sensors standard.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
sfarson
Road Master

Good observations HM... Fortunately I have long arms thus really like the lean forward ergos, and my '07 has the regulator up high, but yes... with the one mile of dirt road to the nearest pavement, the radiator has a nice and perpetual tan steak up the middle of it.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

I've lost black off my forks. Grrrr.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

1. Forward controls.
2. Drag bars.
3. Lowest ground clearance of all the V-rods.

4. People that refer to them as NRS (pronounced "nurse"), instead of DX.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 AM
CardiacThug
Advanced

Sorry if NRS (pronounced nurse) annoys you, but wouldn't DX be pronounced (dicks). Sit on that!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Yes it would Thug. Good catch.
(I own a D and my wife LOVES riding on MY NightRod.)

Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
CardiacThug
Advanced

Hey Desert...you mentioned that your wife rides with you. How does she truly like it. My wife and I go out on my suzuki m50, and was worried that she might find it uncomfortable. I know..."get the sundowner or some other seat", but does she complain about the positioning or anything? I'm interested also if you have done any day trips and how the ride was at the end of the day...comfort wise. How about your paint? Is it coming off also?

Last edited by CardiacThug; 03-31-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
petare
2nd Gear

yeah cardiacthug, I would also like to know about the comfort level on the VRSCs for long rides, as I am thinking of getting one

Quick Reply: Top 3 Complaints re: Night Rod Special