Vrod oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
a21m
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vrod oil change

Hi All,

I am in need of an oil change and wanted to do it myself. I have always had fluid changes done at the dealership. I would rather not buy a service manual as the bike is up for sale. Any detailed info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 PM
VROB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vrod oil change

Hey Andy I have an o4 Vrod as well and an oil change is fairly simple as long as you have a bike lift. I got mine at pep boys for about 50 bucks and can lift up to 1500 lbs. anyway once on the lift you have a drain plug on the oil pan just behind the radiator housing.

1) buy oil ( 5 quarts of preferably screaming eagle; a little extra but worth it ) and then an oil filter ( i don't know the part # offhand but the dealer will
tell you).

2) get a oil pan that can hold at least 6 quarts and place it under and to the front of the drain plug and loosen the plug ( be carefull if you just rode your
bike the oil will be extremely hot! ) Once finished replace the plug and tighten.

3) Right in front of the drain plug is your oil filter ( stock for me is black ) and you will need a filter wrench small enough to remove and replace it. Once you
have the wrench unscrew the filter ---- facing the top of the filter from the clutch side of your bike it is counterclockwise ---- Of course be sure to place
the oil pan underneath the filter to catch the used oil.

4) Once drained remove the filter ( completely unscrew it ) and pour out any left over oil into the pan. Dispose of properly of course; you should be able to
take the old oil to an auto parts store for disposal. Now place some NEW oil on the threads and around the black gasket area of the new filter and replace it the reverse way you took it off and be sure to tighten as needed ( if you got the feel of how tight the old one was when you unloosend it you should tighten the new one just as much and you should be O.K.

5) Finally pour in your new oil ( 5 quarts for a vrod ), wipe off the old oil from the dipstick and place it back firmly. Lower your lift, get it out from under your bike and rest it on the jiffy stand. Start the bike IN NEUTRAL and check for any leaks and if none your good to go.

Hope I helped. Robert