VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Her First Oil Change...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Valtoren
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Her First Oil Change...

Hey everyone, I hope you all are well. It's getting to be that time where my 09 VROD Muscle is going to need her first oil change, and I want to do it myself. Since I purchased my bike USED with only 1,000 miles on it, the person that traded it in did not provide the owners manual.

Could someone please assist me with the specifics of Oil type, oil quantity and oil filter recommendations? Also, i'm shopping around for a Bike Lift, and would also like to know recommendations about what type of lift to purchase for my bike in general.

Thanks in Advance,

Valtoren

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
21HD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have previously owned to VRSC models ... If I remember the manual stated to run 20w-50 ... As far as oil mftr it is a personal preference... I personally ran a synthetic 10w-40 as I thought the 20w-50 was a bit to heavy for the VRSC. Reason being is that this bike is both water and oil cooled. Hope that helps...There are many other forums on the vrod. You might want to research for your own understanding.

For a stand I personally like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-94715.html

I have been using this lift for years! Will not scratch the bike or your floor and very easy to use.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer

Hit the Vrod forum for tons of specific information.

As for lifts, I prefer my full scissor lift - works GREAT!!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Auto Zone has a 3-legged "spider" wrech for less than $5. Great for getting to the V-rod oil filter.
Mobil One V-twin, Syn 3, Amsoil, Royal Purple, whatever you can afford in 20-50. The Revo is a fast engine, you might as well use a synthetic. Sythetics were designed for high-speed engines, ok, turbines, with huge temperature changes.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
WJKramer
Advanced

Ha. Just did my first oil change on my 2011! (switched to SE Syn3 at 500 miles) Might go Amsoil in the future. 5 qts total. Had to undo the radiator bracket to get a better grip on the filter. Retorque the drain plug to 25.9 ft/lbs I believe. Don't strip out your oil pan by overtightning! Good luck.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Valtoren
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WJKramer
Ha. Just did my first oil change on my 2011! (switched to SE Syn3 at 500 miles) Might go Amsoil in the future. 5 qts total. Had to undo the radiator bracket to get a better grip on the filter. Retorque the drain plug to 25.9 ft/lbs I believe. Don't strip out your oil pan by overtightning! Good luck.
Thanks everyone for all of your input, this is REALLY helpful - I'm going to go buy the things I need for my Oil Change tonight and do it tomorrow for a ride this weekend. I've been doing more research to make sure that I do this correctly (Hence this being my first oil change on a Motorcycle rather than a Car). I found this video, and it does mention undo-ing the radiator bolts at the bottom to get a better grip of the oil filter. I wanted to make sure that this video is accurate with a 2009+ VROD Muscle. Please let me know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGfiortXAw

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Originally Posted by Valtoren
I found this video, and it does mention undo-ing the radiator bolts at the bottom to get a better grip of the oil filter.
That's why I got the wrench I have now. I can't find the part number right now. It fits on a 3/8' sq drive.
A lot of people use the oil filter cap wrench. There's room to get the filter off from the end rather than the side, without pulling radiator bolts.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 AM
DaytonaPS
Novice

If you can jack the rear of the bike up (leaving front wheel on the ground), helps get all the oil out, then re-fill with 5 qt's of oil, I have run Mobil 1 V-twin in all my VROD's

5 qt's with a new oil filter will get you to about 2/3rds full on the dipstick, watch your oil consumption in the first 5000miles VROD are known for eating it when new...

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Valtoren
2nd Gear

Well the oil has been successfully changed! It was easy to get to the plug, and it was even easy to get to the oil filter. I did however take the bolts off the bottom of the radiator housing to get a better grip of the oil filter. I couldn't loosen the filter with my hands alone, I had to buy a filter wrench/cap - it fit over the grooves on the top of the filter and I had to torque it loose.

When all was said and done, I have to be honest, it runs a LOT better now. I did notice that it consumed a small amount of oil before this oil change. Currently i'm at 3400 miles on my VROD and the oil indicator did come on a few times at hard stops when lights suddenly turn red or some jackwagon turns out in front of you.

Thanks for all your advice everyone - you've been a great help!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
mcfly
Stage I

Hmm, I didn`t know that lights suddenly turned red... If lights are green and you don`t see them turn green surely you assume they could go red at any time?? Not much of a surprise then is it!
Also, isn`t the oil light a low pressure warning? If that comes on usually you are so low on oil you could already have done damage!

In your signature do you mean to say "you're" rather than "your"? Just it makes more sense that way...