VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

It's a Porsche design people ..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDRod
... It is better than the traditional Harley by far. I have ridden on both and it is night and day in terms of smoothness and balance
Agreed.

That H-D collaborated with Porsche is a big Plus! What? They should collaborate with Yugo? Like any internal combustion engine, you can fiddle with it to get the sound you want. Salesman at a Madison dealer rides a Muscle, did the V&H 2 in 1 thing and it is guttural. The V-Rod is Harley D, probably the best bike the MoCo builds. I test drove one, nice ride. Love the looks of the Night-Rod with the upswept pipes. Still on my first bike, a Sportie SuperLow. It's between the Night Rod, the Softail Breakout, and maybe the Dyna Switchback for my upgrade. Got to have bags and a windshield. I DO like a little something different at Bike Night. Nobody will ask about your Street Glide.

And what 52Isn'tBigEnough said. He knows the bike.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 PM
bbmach
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I was told by a Store owner that he makes a little money off of new bikes but the real cash is used bikes, clothes, chrome and paerts/accesories. That is why HD made the owners change the stores to be more diversified... The newer owners (wallet bikers, posers and RUBS) want the bling more than the bike. One of the sales guys ask me if i was ready to trade yesterday...I said and leave this 07 behind for somebody to enjoy all my work? NOT...
Actually, it is new bike sales - for the MoCo and dealers. From early last year, but it still applies: http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/04/25/...sus-last-year/

Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 AM
MT3*7*77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last real Porsche with a soul was rolled off the line in Stuttgart in 1998.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Dos Equis
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-04-2015, 06:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

No it is not. Porsche was involved as they were with HD in the late 70's with a previous water cooled engine that almost came to production. It was the Nova project and had water cooled two cylinder 500cc, 1,000cc V four and 1,500 V 6 motors. When the HD staff bought out AMF they did not have enough money to develop the Nova project and the Evolution project together. They decided to develop the Evo line.

Porsche has a facility that makes one off parts for prototypes. HD engineers and Willie G designed the engine and bike. HD does not and would not give control to any outside source. HD does not have a facility to produce one off prototypes. That is what Porsche did for them.

The Revolution engine was a advancement of an earlier racing motor that HD designed not anything to do with Porsche. The entire Vrod project was Willie G's baby.

Porsche built the engines to HD's specs. HD tested the prototypes in Florida. They had them to 180 mph but the engine lasted only 500 miles. They ran and ran the prototypes for up to 180,000 miles and harder than any rider would likely do until they knew. They ran them in an insulated building in the Florida sun shining thru the front of the building for 18 hours without failure of the cooling system. The head engineer of the project was Mr Gutteridge who just retired from HD. I meet him at a HD dealership and had a long conversation with him about the Vrod and some other projects done at the Arizona proving grounds that HD leased for a time.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-04-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

In the words of Willie G. Davidson at Daytona Bike Week this year, "It's Harley on the outside, and a Porsche on the inside"

Being a former Porsche Tech and Crew Chief of a Porsche GT2 Team. When I opened up the inside of my V-Rod for the first time to perform several maintenance and performance upgrades, it definitely has Porsche's hand prints all over mechanical internals and design, coupled with GM's powertrain managment system.

Last edited by Hal64hd; 09-07-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:57 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

All I got to say is it's a damn shame Willie G and/or HD can't seem to figure out what a great bike could be made with that engine in a more traditional frame and not try to make it such a drag bike with the rake stretched out so far.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:57 AM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on my second V Rod (a muscle).
I am a retired Powertrain engineer. (HD "rented"SPACE at the DPG. A building and access to the road system. I've had many conversations with the HD guys testing the new engines.

All that said, I also was friends with the "GM(Delphi) project manager at the time Harley developed both fuel injected (Delphi) engines as well as the V Rod.

The initial Delphi software was nearly identical to what I used for Production CARS...

The V Rod development also took place in Europe, as Harley wanted the engine to "look like" the VR1000 race bike, I "race bike" I might add that more often than not FAILED during the race!!
The "design" criteria /60 degree, DOHC, V twin, liquid cooled, is shared with the VR1000,,,Porsche made the engine that would last and could be manufactured, without LOOSING it's oil! (The early "VR" based V Rod engines had OILING problems.)
There is also a reason the V Rod's had Mahle (Ger.) pistons as well as many other GERMAN engine parts!!
Porsche made it work!!

V Rods are proven to be very reliable engines!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Treble99
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought my first HD street rod two in to one supper trap exhaust,lot of old school HD boys say it sounds great,so just be happy you can ride full stop.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Gravedigger