VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Iron 883 ,Night train or Night rod good for first bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Eman3k3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron 883 ,Night train or Night rod good for first bike ?

Ay guys i'm a bit conflicted . I have no real motorcyle expieriance besides riding on a dir bike a llil while i was younger . I'm 28 5'9 185lbs , taking my MSF at end of the month and i'm pretty senseible .Looking for something with pretty good speed and handling Been doing research into first bike . After looking i was looking at gettin a 04 sporster 883 for a trainer bike , then going to a night train or nightster after . Now i've seen some ppl say get something smaller for your first bike and alot of ppl saying to get what you want first and just take your time and learn on the bike . So instead of spending more money down the line buy what you want first and just take your time to learn. My things is i kno they say that you can do that with nightster and nighttrain . What about the Nightrod tho ?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 AM
usersrdum
Stage I

I made the mistake of getting the 883 as a first bike. Don't get me wrong, the 883 is a great bike, but I got used to it very quickly and it just didn't have enough power for me. I recently traded it in on a Night Rod Special. I Love it!
Don't let anyone say it has to much power for a first bike. It only has as much power as you make it have. Easy to ride, and much more comfortable. I hope that helps

Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Skip the Iron 883, but a 1200 Sporster may be a good start. The Night Rod Special is a
bigger size bike to start on with no motorcycle experience at all, take the rider course to
see what it's all about. If you are going to want a Harley as your first Bike, look for a used
one. Starting with around 2007 used Sporster, Softail, or Dyna get some miles under the
wheels to see how you feel about being a motorcyclist. After a year you will know if you
want to move up to something else, that is bigger and or faster or even Newer.

Last edited by OldPhat; 04-28-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

I think a 100hp bike is too much for someone just starting off, but that's just me. Depends on your personality and whether you are the type to push it or not.
I knew I'd be in trouble with a vrod for my first Harley. I got the Iron and love it, put 6500 miles on it in the first 6 mos or so. No plans to get anything else for a long long while and even then I will keep it. I'd love to add a vrod to my garage one day though.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

I am one that thinks a smaller bike is better for a first bike. But this case is a little different in that you have some dirt bike experience and will not have to learn everything about riding. But...

Not everybody likes riding on the street. That is not a reflection on their skill, courage, or anything. It is just a fact. Learned through personal observation over the last 46 years.

I would suggest getting some experience on the street, in traffic, before buying any scooter. Riding in the dirt is nothing like riding on the street. I have more experience then most people in both venues and that is my opinion.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

I say get the bike you want and be careful. My first bike had 109hp+ and weighed 423lbs. I never wrecked it. I will say I think having a heavier bike is worse for a beginner than a powerful bike.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a 883 is underpower even for a first bike. My girlfriend loves her Iron but it turns 4000 rpm at 70 mph. When the guys start playing she is just left in the dust. I would look at a low rider or some sort of dyna. They make good power and are very light. I acually think sportys feel very top heavy. My first bike was an 08 Night Train but im also 6 ft and 200 lbs. Plus have been riding dirt bikes and 4 wheelers forever. Now i ride an 03 Ultra stripped down to a street glide.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Cisco726
Cruiser

I wish I would've gone for a bigger bike, but at the same time I think it was good that I didn't. I dropped my 883 in the first month I had it by getting overconfident and not having the MSF course under my belt. If it had been a bigger bike I'd probably have broken my leg and been stuck under it. I was able to lift it myself and get out. I've had mine(2005 883) for almost 7 years and I love that bike, but there are times I wish I had a softail or a streetbob or something bigger. Also, depends how you plan on using your bike, strictly leisure, ride to work, etc.. I use my Sporty to ride to work everyday and its great as I only take the street. If I had to take the freeway then I'd definitely need a bigger bike. Since you have riding experience I think you'd be good on a bigger bike so long as you take your time to get used to it.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 AM
5p3aK
Novice

Hmm what about the new Street 750 ?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why dont you just go test them instead of asking us?
How are we going to decide what is best for YOU?

Quick Reply: Iron 883 ,Night train or Night rod good for first bike ?