Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel locked up under acceleration

G'day. I have a 2014 NRS with:

V&H 2-1 Comp pipe
Air filter, toplesss airbox
SERT and Dyno tuned
Engine oil level: a little over the refill line
Odometer: 4000km

On the weekend I went out for a ride with a few mates. As we were playing around I dropped back a couple gears and floored it. I held each gear until almost hitting the rev limiter and did quick gear shifts. I would have been in 4th or 5th gear and 4 or 5k RPM with the throttle pulled right back and all of a sudden I felt a loss of power and the back wheel started dancing sideways.

I wasn't in the middle of shifting and I didn't 'just' let the clutch out, I just had the throttle wide open and i was holding on. My only guess is that maybe the gear wasn't in properly and it dropped into the gear below by itself which would have likely put it above the rev limiter. My only other thought is that since I don't have both belt guards on that maybe a rock bounced up and caught in the rear sprocket?

As soon as this happened I didn't look at my gauge to see the revs, i just pulled my clutch and brake in and slowed right down and then shifted back up again to cruise. But i couldn't tell you what gear it was in because I was focusing on keeping the bike upright and that's all.

If anyone has some insight i'd really appreciate the input. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

So, as I understand the post, the problem just went away as fast as it started? Does the bike ride fine now? Have you looked at the rear pulley to see if it was a rock? My guess is that it is the transmission. I would have it gone through. You were putting a lot of stress on the gears, and the problem went away when the stress was removed.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 PM
CH4PS
6th Gear

Thanks mate.

Yeh I've been leaning towards the transmission too. I've put the same question on another forum also and a few people have mentioned that wheel/pulley bearings could be bad. So after checking them i can see grease coming out of my pulley bearing. Might be time to take it into the dealer (still under warranty).

Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Problems like this is when the warranty is nice. it will be cold soon, just drop it off and tell them to fix it.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM
CH4PS
6th Gear

Update...

I took the bike to the dealer and they took the rear wheel off and inspected the wheel and pulley bearings. The verdict was they are all in top condition and the grease coming out of the pulley was caused from a tyre shop putting grease on the bearing when they replaced the wheel. The dealer said that no grease is required.

So although I haven't worked out what caused the rear wheel to lock up but I take comfort in knowing the rear wheel, pulley and bearings are all good.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by CH4PS
Update...

I took the bike to the dealer and they took the rear wheel off and inspected the wheel and pulley bearings. The verdict was they are all in top condition and the grease coming out of the pulley was caused from a tyre shop putting grease on the bearing when they replaced the wheel. The dealer said that no grease is required.

So although I haven't worked out what caused the rear wheel to lock up but I take comfort in knowing the rear wheel, pulley and bearings are all good.

Thanks for all your input.
Did you hit a kangaroo?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 PM
CH4PS
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Did you hit a kangaroo?
haha, nah he stayed in his lane, nearly overtook me.

Oh and I forgot to note, the dealer said the belt was way over tight. The day before I took it to the dealer i checked my belt tension using kitchen scales and there was around 18mm deflection (whereas the manual says 6 - 10mm) so I was under the impression the belt wasn't tight enough. I bought a proper belt tension gauge and tested it as soon as i got the bike home from the dealer and there was 17mm deflection. I can't imagine that i'm measuring it wrong, 10lb force and measuring at the centre of the bottom part of the belt with the bike upright, in neutral and no rider on it. Actually although the manual says to do it that way, maybe i should test it upright with a rider on it to see if it's any closer to the 6 - 10mm range.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Possible that the fuel line sucked up a gulp of water from some bad fuel you picked up somewhere. I like the RPM limiter explanation though too but I think you would be noticing the gear popping out or not going all the way in, etc. -- there would be problems later too. My brother rode my Vrod once and said that the one thing that struck him is that the shift is clean and sure -- not mushy like his Honda Sabre Shadow.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 PM
CH4PS
6th Gear

cool, cheers.