Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nightrod Special

Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM
coop2564
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
"Clamshell" riding position is not lower back friendly. At all.
I totally disagree, for me at least! I traded in a RK with it I had a lot of lowerback, hip lockup(cramps) and neck stress after about a hour of riding. With V Rod zero problems. Ive found the riding position very comforable.

The following users liked this post:
Rod Halstead (06-05-2020)
Old 09-11-2014, 04:52 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by coop2564
I totally disagree, for me at least! I traded in a RK with it I had a lot of lowerback, hip lockup(cramps) and neck stress after about a hour of riding. With V Rod zero problems. Ive found the riding position very comforable.
I only have a short ride under my belt, but former VRod owners have told me that the issue, for them, was that when in a relaxed posture on the bike with your head naturally aligned with your spine, you're basically looking straight down at the "tank". So, in order to look where you're going, you have to hold your head up and keep it held there, which causes stress all down the spine.

Again, second hand info.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would recommend you get a 2008 or newer VRod since these are all closed-loop fuel injected -- a better running system altogether. Also, something I ran into with my bike when I bought it: It has a bad voltage regulator and though I was under warranty and the diagnostics code coming up on the bike made it clear that it was seeing an over-voltage (bad regulator) and even blowing the headlight bulbs. The thing is -- they knew this and cleared the code to hide that from me I think hoping that I would buy it without a warranty. They kept the bike for 30 days (my only transportation) and acted as if ti was a bear to troubleshoot even replacing the fuel level sensor. I understood it was because the regulator is a much more expensive part. It is good to get some kind of a warranty -- even 90 days if you can on a used bike particularly.

You could take it for a test ride and if you spent 20 minutes or so you might be able to make any diagnostics codes that have been reset to come up.

Ask to see under the air-box cover. If the inner air-box has been modified to be "topless" ask the dealer (or person you are buying it from) to put it back to OEM. This is one of very few motorcycles with a tuned intake tract -- something that takes the expertise of Porche to produce. There are a lot of mistaken folks out there thinking they are doing some kind of genius mod pulling that cover off. The only geniuses re: the VRod are the ones in Stuttgard Germany who designed the engine. Also if the air inlet sensor is not in the air-stream any more (part of the modification) the sensor will no longer operate correctly and richen the fuel mix when the system gets cold air (Winter). So make sure the air temp sensor is relocated back to the top of the air box where it was originally.

If the previous owner kept maintenance records (oil changes, notes, etc.) that is a very good sign I think but rare.

If the tires that the bike came in on are on the bike you can see how hard it was ridden by looking at the tires I think. There is also some rubber "flash" from the tire mold that can help indicate how experienced the rider that owned it was (how much of a lean he/she put it into). That is interesting and I think a good sign if it was owned by someone who was an experienced biker. Maybe not...

Hey... there is a code on the tires (in a small oval) that tells you how old the tires are. You should avoid any tires that are over 3 years old even with little wear on them because the oxidize (UV light and Ozone) and get hard and brittle and unsafe. Look for surface cracking on the tires too --- this is noticeable.

I think a lot of low mileage bikes out there cause folks get them and are too afraid to ride them.... they sit there in the garage gathering dust.

Get one -- you won't be sorry. I am 59. I have been pulled over for hot ******* through town and the cop was in shock when I took my helmet off and said, 'Geeze... I thought you were some young punk!" LOL. When you are this old you have focus and less testosterone to make you do stupid things so the power becomes controllable and can get you out of a lot of trouble. This isn't your usual HD. The only other bike I would consider is the Ducati Diavel or Ducati Monster.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDRod
Ask to see under the air-box cover. If the inner air-box has been modified to be "topless" ask the dealer (or person you are buying it from) to put it back to OEM. This is one of very few motorcycles with a tuned intake tract -- something that takes the expertise of Porche to produce. There are a lot of mistaken folks out there thinking they are doing some kind of genius mod pulling that cover off. The only geniuses re: the VRod are the ones in Stuttgard Germany who designed the engine. Also if the air inlet sensor is not in the air-stream any more (part of the modification) the sensor will no longer operate correctly and richen the fuel mix when the system gets cold air (Winter). So make sure the air temp sensor is relocated back to the top of the air box where it was originally.
Quit talking out your A$$, The top on the Air Box is for federally mandated intake noise reduction.

You are not the Genius you think you are. You can't even spell Porsche correctly. You have posted this many times and don't have a clue.
The intake noise has db level standards just like the exhaust does and has for years.
There is no Forced Induction through the "snorkle" as you numerously posted. The "snorkle" sits directly behind the steering neck, which is a Low Pressure area not High Pressure.

And Porsche did not "Design" the engine. They helped with the re-engineering of the VR-1000 race engine and made it streetable and durable for the long haul.

From the EPA

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 40, Volume 16, Parts 190 to 259]
[Revised as of July 1, 1998]
[CITE: 40CFR205.157-3]

[Page 124]

TITLE 40--PROTECTION OF ENVIRONMENT

CHAPTER I--ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (CONTINUED)

PART 205--TRANSPORTATION EQUIPMENT NOISE EMISSION CONTROLS--Table of Contents

Subpart D--Motorcycles

Sec. 205.157-3 Configuration identification.

(a) A separate vehicle configuration shall be determined by each
combination of the following parameters:
(1) Exhaust system (engine): (i) Mufflers; (ii) expansion chambers;
(iii) spark arrestors; and (iv) other exhaust system components.
(2) Air induction system (engine): (i) Intake muffler; (ii) intake
ducting; and (iii) air cleaner element.

(3) Vehicle drive train: (i) Chain; and (ii) shaft.
(4) Transmission gear ratio: (i) Standard transmission; and (ii)
automatic transmission.
(5) Cooling system configuration: (i) Natural air cooled; (ii)
liquid cooled; and (iii) forced air cooled.
(6) Category parameters listed in Sec. 205.157-2.
(b) [Reserved]

Last edited by Hal64hd; 09-17-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Hal64hd. Going topless is no big deal, and if you have the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor attached, it is functioning! It doesn't "have to be in the air stream" to function. It has to be hooked up and near the aircleaner! element to measure the temperature of the air that enters the intake. Having a top on or OFF does not effect it's function as long as it is hooked up and near the air filter..
I know EXACTLY how much an IAT sensor can and does modify fueling, as I calibrated production cars using the same software! IAT sensor has minimal fueling effects.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 AM
coop2564
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I only have a short ride under my belt, but former VRod owners have told me that the issue, for them, was that when in a relaxed posture on the bike with your head naturally aligned with your spine, you're basically looking straight down at the "tank". So, in order to look where you're going, you have to hold your head up and keep it held there, which causes stress all down the spine.

Again, second hand info.
I'm 6-1 and just slightly bent forward but nowhere near looking at tank more like 50yds in front of tire. I think a lot of people think of the V rod as a sport bike but it is a crusier with a sporty look.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Robert Jarrett
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harley vrod adjusting gear shifter

Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 PM
NCMTNSVRSCDX
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2006 FLHTI for 8 yrs and my dad bought a 2005 Vrscb used with 99 miles. I would recommend the 2012+ model Night Rod Specials since they reduced the rake from the prior year models and reduced the understeer issues. I raced sportbikes for many years and it definately took alot more effort in the twisties to get my dads vrod to corner compared to my 2014 Night Rod Special. If you get a chance to demo one of the newer vrods you'll definately enjoy it. My dad is now 73 yrs young and owns both a 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-spec as well as an MEV Tr1ke. The MEV is a reverse trike kit that utilizes a 98-2006 YZFR-1 motor and is basically a crazy go-kart without the high price of the T-rex. He just recently got the Bolt R-spec since he lives 15 mins to Shady Valley TN and misses the leaning aspect in the twisties. I recently sold the Electra Glide to get the Sand Cammo Denim VRSCDX just to keep up with him and I really don't miss the touring bike that much. I put a Givi E-36 box on the back luggage rack when I need the extra room since I really don't care for the Harley soft luggage and it's a great bike to give the youngsters near me a run in the mtns of NC. I'd recommend a test ride on one first and you'll see the fun of owning one. I'm 6'1" and the riding position for me is very comfy but as of now I'm getting a bit over 39 mpg but that depends on how much I'm twisting the throttle.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 PM
JONAS1969
Cruiser
Received 159 Likes on 66 Posts

Also... V-Rods can be set up quite nicely for long distance touring. There are floorboard kits, passenger folding floorboard kits, fairing options, backrest options, if you can think of it, it can be done...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by JONAS1969; 09-25-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: V-Rod guys. Talk to me honestly