Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

ABS wheel bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ABS wheel bearing question

I just installed new front wheel bearings on my '10 SG. I have the correct tool. I'm kicking myself for not giving them a spin before installing because now that they're in I give em a turn and there is a definite bump/sticky spot, Not smooth all the way around. Hard to describe it any other way.It just don't feel right. Could that be normal for the ABS side? The more I rotate it back and forth the smoother it feels but still there. I've already called my local dealer and had them put a set aside for me to pick up tomorrow morning.I don't mind spending $50 bucks for peace of mind.But I'm wondering if I pulled em back out and decide to re-install em will pulling damage the bearing? I think so but not sure. Also If that's normal for the encoder bearing will it smooth out with use? the old ones spin around freely. If so I'd rather leave em in because I also installed new HD Thunderstar chrome/stainless rotors, The thought of using the puller on them makes me a little nervous. I'll use some felt or rubber to cushion the puller and be very careful.I'm sure they'll come right out.So I guess I'll go down to my dealer and see how new ones feel, Maybe buy em maybe not. If anyone can confirm that it's normal and ok to use them I will leave it be and install the wheel.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Update, After 82 views and no reply. I pulled the new bearings out this morning, Nothing wrong with them. So the only possible answer was Operator Error, I got a little bit too tight cranking the right side in to the spacer. So here's a few tips for anyone doing wheel bearings. First gotta plug George's Garage for making a great tool. It's so smooth it takes little to no effort to press in bearings,Of course I lubed the s#@+ out of it lol. Second when your close to the spacer with right side take the tool apart and check the gap between bearing and spacer then finnish pressing with the tool just enough to contact the spacer, I guess if ya do a lot of these you'll get a feel for it.But the tool makes it so easy to do you can over tighten without realizing it. George's instructions say not to use any more torque than used on the axle nut but that's hard to judge with a box end over the long threaded installer.Anyway all is well, I'm happy again.