Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

your opinions please !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Jimmy The Human
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your opinions please !!

Hi I am going through the longggg process of looking at wheels for my 2007 FXSTC and living in a remote area I do not get a chance to see many mag/billet wheels only in photos. I intend to just stay with the standard size on the bike so 21 front and I am not considering having an extended front guard. so I have a couple of questions.

is it an optical illusion that makes some style of 21' mags look bigger than they really are?? I also notice that I have not seen anyone with any more than 5 spokes on a style of bike like mine? is this because of what I mentioned they tend to look to big??
I like 7 spoke mags and I am leaning towards Renegade Phoenix or the RC components Epic I did also like the RC Czar but I am now thinking they are to??full? or busy? I just want to balance the bike out not make the wheels the highlight I hope you get my drift.
any feed back would be appreciated on my questions and if anyone has some pics of simular of what I am asking that would be great.
oh and yeah I have already done my head in trolling through the many wheels sites and threads on here too.

cheers Jimmy

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK. You're asking some difficult questions there! Is it an illusion that some wheels look bigger than others? Yes! Slender spokes and few of them will look larger in diameter than wide or stocky spokes. A sweeping comment is that cast wheels tend to be more bulky than forged ones, which are inherently stronger. Actual choice is so personal I'll not comment on specific designs!

Last edited by grbrown; 11-07-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Jimmy The Human
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks GRBrown
yes it is both personal choice and as you say it does depend on the thickness of the spokes and how many? I think even the colour of a bike can play some part as well. the thing I have discovered is lets say a 21 front looks ok but then like mine with a 17 rear certain designs make the rear look to cluttered given the smaller size?? just my observation.

cheers Jimmy