Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

21" vs 23" Front Wheel - 2013 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:44 AM
TX_Jester
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 21" vs 23" Front Wheel - 2013 FLHX

I am currently running a 19" front wheel on my 2013 Street Glide and am planning on changing to either a 21" or 23" front wheel. So I really, really like the ride and handling of my bike as it sits, but want the look of the larger wheel in the front. If I go with a 21", it will all fit with stock fork, rake, tree, etc........but to go to a 23" I will at a minimum have to go to a 6 degree triple tree......so the point of all this is does anyone have any experience in how their ride changed going from a stock setup to a 23" front tire/wheel? Would really like to hear some feedback from anyone that can help me with this to know what I might expect as far as general bike handling, cornering, slow speed turns, etc. if I go with the 6 degree triple tree and a 23" wheel. Thanks in advance for reading all my rambling

Old 11-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Streetrockking
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a 21 on my Street Glide and a 23 on my Road King. I personally cannot tell the difference between the two. The 23 might be a little heavier... Either way I think its much better than stock. When your ready let me know what your looking to order. We can get some pretty good prices on wheel packages.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 PM
TX_Jester
Cruiser

Thanks, good to know, was hoping to hear there was not a large/noticeable (reduced) handling and feel with the 23". Will def get with you before I do anything with the wheel.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:28 PM
KSBOWHUNTERS73
Novice

I would like to see some more responses from people too as i am in the market for a bigger wheel setup.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 PM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the same boat but went ahead and ordered the 21". It looks good, handles good and does not require as much.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:10 AM
fame2
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

i went from 21" to 23" using Pickard 6 degree trees...no real noticeable difference in handling etc..the only issue i noticed is that on potholes i hit the fork stops (front is lowered 1")...thats about it though

Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 PM
firefishq
Intermediate

i just ordered a 21" for my road king. I didn't want to mess with changing the trees or the fender. I like the look of the 21" in the stock fender. jmo

Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 AM
TX_Jester
Cruiser

I have ordered a 23" from SMT Machining and the HHI-X23 6.5 Degree Triple Tree......in my opinion, anything from 21" on up looks great on these bikes.....I just wanted a tad larger.....hope to have the wheel here around or just after Christmas and everything put together sometime in January.....will keep everyone that has been interested up to date on how it goes and post pictures when done......

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The 21" for people who want a simple bolt on solution that is more cost effective. Use the stock fender, no tree change, bolt it on and go. I run a 21" with no issues, no lowering, no problems at all.

The 23" requires more work and money but looks much nicer than the 21". It rides great although I p[refer the HHI X-23 trees to the Pickard due to their polyurethane bump stops as opposed to the Pickard steel stops which clunk when they bottom out. The HHI trees are equally as good and I have sold more of them than the Pickards never one complaint.

I sell both and get very reasonable pricing on either. As far as other things needed for a 23", you need a different fender as well. Tire choices for a 23" are either the Avon Cobra or Metzeler ME888 or for 14 and 15 models with ABS which will require a rear wheel as well and the use of the Vee Rubber 130/50/23 or Vee Rubber 120/50/23.

If you guys need help with what is necessary, how to do this, how it handles etc etc we have been 23" conversions for baggers for many many years and know what you need to know and are able to provide great pricing and service on all part necessary for the conversion.

the main question you have to ask yourself is how big do you want to go? The 23" is only 2" larger than a 21" but it makes a world of difference when done right on the bike and will stand out far more than any 21" wheel ever will.

I still opted for the 21" for ease of simplicity and cost effectiveness as we all have constraints in which to work. We are making great deals on winter projects so give us a call and we will be more than happy to help you with all of your questions.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Angelsbass
Advanced
Thumbs up

I really want to see it with the 23"

Quick Reply: 21" vs 23" Front Wheel - 2013 FLHX