Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

2002 FXST Ultima 48 Spoke Fitment Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Steen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 FXST Ultima 48 Spoke Fitment Question

Guys,

I'm looking at a set of Ultima wheels under recommendation from a few people here on the forum.

I have some questions regarding the fitment on my 2002 FXST which has 3/4 axles in both the front and the rear.

I want to run a 21x3.5 rim up front. Do I use the (L) & (R) spacers that are on the stock wheel? I realize I may have to get a new front fender, which is fine. Is a 120/70-21 the suggested tire here from anyone's experience?

Secondly, in the rear I am looking at a 18x3.5. Ultima doesn't make a 18x4.25. The largest tire I can fit on my year frame (Narrow rear fender and frame horns) is a 160/60-18 anyway and that should be the rims limit anyway. Would I use the stock spacers on the rear as well and should I expect any pulley line up issues?

Thanks...

Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Steen
Advanced

Wow... no one? Everyone still can't be drunk!?!?!?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Steen
I have some questions regarding the fitment on my 2002 FXST which has 3/4 axles in both the front and the rear.
I will try to help you help yourself.

I want to run a 21x3.5 rim up front. Do I use the (L) & (R) spacers that are on the stock wheel?
I assume you're not going re-lace with the new 3.5...otherwise the answer is YES

Assuming you're contemplating using an another wheel such as an Ultima, See Below

"C" is dimension is for Dual disc (assume two rotor flanges although not shown...This is for others that have dual discs)

Is A,B, and C the same dimensions? If YES, Then Yes. If Not, adjust accordingly.

I realize I may have to get a new front fender, which is fine. Is a 120/70-21 the suggested tire here from anyone's experience?
Look up (call, measure) present tire specifications, look up possible tire selection specs...what are the differences...Well, will it fit?

Secondly, in the rear I am looking at a 18x3.5. Ultima doesn't make a 18x4.25. The largest tire I can fit on my year frame (Narrow rear fender and frame horns) is a 160/60-18 anyway and that should be the rims limit anyway.
160/60-18 exceeds the recommended tire to be used on a 18x3.5 rear wheel. (but not saying you can't use it)
http://www.hdwheels.com/Product.htm (bottom of page)

Would I use the stock spacers on the rear as well and should I expect any pulley line up issues?
Refer to above Front Wheel.

Btw, i like your fuel gauge (oldest of schools).

Old 01-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Steen
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly the help I was looking for. I'm real glad you pointed out the rear rim/tire size combo issue to me on the rear. I was referencing (in my head) the 16" rim on that chart. Which states a 160 would fit on a 16x3.5, but IT DOES not meet the minimum recommendations on the 18x3.5. I would have overlooked that.. thanks again!

Now the decision of a 16x3.5 or 18x3.5 comes into play. What is your opinion of each of them? Is the 18 larger rim based strictly on cosmetics?

If I did go with the 16x3.5 rim, at least I would be able to remount my 150/80-16 Metzeler tire that I currently have on my 3" rim now which still has some life left in it. Then once it goes, I could squeeze the 160 on there if I choose to.

Thanks again.. and thanks for noticing my fuel gauge on my 91XLH

Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Now the decision of a 16x3.5 or 18x3.5 comes into play. What is your opinion of each of them? Is the 18 larger rim based strictly on cosmetics?

IMO...18" hands down, always have liked the look...more wheel less tire. Everything else being equal, less tire sidewall = less tire flex on 18".

But 16" is OK too.

If I did go with the 16x3.5 rim, at least I would be able to remount my 150/80-16 Metzeler tire that I currently have on my 3" rim now which still has some life left in it. Then once it goes, I could squeeze the 160 on there if I choose to.
Yep.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Steen
Advanced

Originally Posted by multihdrdr

IMO...18" hands down, always have liked the look...more wheel less tire. Everything else being equal, less tire sidewall = less tire flex on 18".

But 16" is OK too.

Yep.

Got it. Thanks again multihdrdr. Have to decide now if I can live with the 150 tire on an 18" rim, or sacrifice to go with the 16" rim to be able to get a 160 tire on it. I am leaning towards the 18" and sticking with a 150 tire.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:16 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Got it. Thanks again multihdrdr. Have to decide now if I can live with the 150 tire on an 18" rim, or sacrifice to go with the 16" rim to be able to get a 160 tire on it. I am leaning towards the 18" and sticking with a 150 tire.
How bout a 17"? ...maybe Rear 06-later Dyna or Deuce Solid...17 x 4.50 (or aftermarket of course). Find one that already has a good 160 (stock) on it.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Steen
Advanced

How bout a 17"? ...maybe Rear 06-later Dyna or Deuce Solid...17 x 4.50 (or aftermarket of course). Find one that already has a good 160 (stock) on it.
True. Really wanted to get the chrome fat spoke thing going as I think it would sit good on the bike.
My 02 FXST.. getting larger bags in the back, but I still think the 18 wheel with the fat spokes would look better. Don't you?

I have a solid rear rim on the back of my XLH with a spoke up front. I don't mind it on the bobber.. but think I'd rather have the chrome spokes all the way around on the Softail..

Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Really wanted to get the chrome fat spoke thing going as I think it would sit good on the bike.
My 02 FXST.. getting larger bags in the back, but I still think the 18 wheel with the fat spokes would look better. Don't you?

I have a solid rear rim on the back of my XLH with a spoke up front. I don't mind it on the bobber.. but think I'd rather have the chrome spokes all the way around on the Softail..
You're preaching to the choir...I like 18s and i like them to match, but sometimes compromises have to be made. For example, on Tourers people are installing 18" front Airstrikes (and now 19" Enforcers) on their 2008-Earlier models. Unless they have a 06-08 rear 16x3 airstrike, it's not going to match. So they may try to find one, but they are getting harder to find and the price reflects that. So an economical compromise (imo) would be to use a 16x3" Solid (very plentiful). Black out the center or entirety and "voila"... were good. I would never install the front if all i was ever going to have in the back was a Laced or 9-Spoke wagon wheel to match up to. Also solids in the rear and laced in the front have been popular on various factory delivered HD models (mainly FX and XL models).

Looking good.

Mini gauges?...i've got a set...going to throw them on a dyna (i think).

While your up front on that FX, you might consider chrome sliders instead of the wannabes...imo.

Your sporty reminded of an observation regarding rubber mount vs solid...I picked up a couple XLs last year, 2002 and 2007 having never really riding sportsters before. I prefer riding the '02.

Btw, always liked the rear curved struts...it flows. Do you ever get the "un-informs" ask you how you did that?

Forthcoming "Gratuitous" Sales Pitch:
I have 16x3" Rear Airstrikes available. PM if interested.

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-12-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Steen
Advanced

You're preaching to the choir...I like 18s and i like them to match, but sometimes compromises have to be made. For example, on Tourers people are installing 18" front Airstrikes (and now 19" Enforcers) on their 2008-Earlier models. Unless they have a 06-08 rear 16x3 airstrike, it's not going to match. So they may try to find one, but they are getting harder to find and the price reflects that. So an economical compromise (imo) would be to use a 16x3" Solid (very plentiful). Black out the center or entirety and "voila"... were good. I would never install the front if all i was ever going to have in the back was a Laced or 9-Spoke wagon wheel to match up to. Also solids in the rear and laced in the front have been popular on various factory delivered HD models (mainly FX and XL models).

I hear ya. I know when they came out with the fat rear end on the FX models in 06', I think they were running the solid rear 200mm tire on a 17x6. I'm sure they've done it before that as well. I'll keep it in mind.. but leaning towards having the wagon wheels all the way around.

Looking good.

Mini gauges?...i've got a set...going to throw them on a dyna (i think).

Yeah, they're not bad. Had one fail on me though (Tach) and had to exchange last year. Been fine since. Sportsters such a small bike, I thought the stock gauges looked weird on it.

While your up front on that FX, you might consider chrome sliders instead of the wannabes...imo.

Hmmm... post a link to what you're talking about. You talking about the beer can style sliders?

Your sporty reminded of an observation regarding rubber mount vs solid...I picked up a couple XLs last year, 2002 and 2007 having never really riding sportsters before. I prefer riding the '02.

Btw, always liked the rear curved struts...it flows. Do you ever get the "un-informs" ask you how you did that?

Lol.. can't take the credit for that one. I think they all came curved like that until 94'. I just shaved the tail light housing, welded flat steel, grind/sand, bondo to make it flat.

Forthcoming "Gratuitous" Sales Pitch:
I have 16x3" Rear Airstrikes available. PM if interested.
. [/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 2002 FXST Ultima 48 Spoke Fitment Question