Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Meteler 880 tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:49 AM
ZooLove2G
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meteler 880 tire issue

Hoping to find an explanation for a Metzeler ME880 tire fail.
I bought a 06 FLHXI street glide last Jan. w/ 4800mi. The guy had decked it out pretty good including Performance machine wheels (@$1350-ea) and it had more than 50% worn Metzeler 880's on it. I put another 3k mi on them and the rear tire was Shot and showing cord when I replaced it with the same tire- ME880 160/60/18.
My mechanic was surprised at the way the tire had worn. It had a very flat wear area in the middle of the tread. Being unfamiliar with the riding habits of the previous owner. I chalked it up to being 7 years old and sitting most of time since it only had 4800mi when I bought it. This bike had def Not been doing burnouts. It was/is in pristine condition and had receipts for near $15k in modifications.
After just less than 3k mi the second Metzeler 160/60/18 has done the same thing! (with way less mileage).
The center tread is worn smooth, and the flat wear pattern is very evident.
WHY is it wearing this way?
Is it the tire, or some flaw in mechanics or compatibility between tire and wheel?
I'd like to be able to continue with the Metzelers, but not with this problem going on.
The 18" Performance machine wheel leaves very few options for replacement in a high end tire. The only option I know of is the Michelin commanders.
Thx in advance for any input you might have.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I am under the impression that there is an issue with 880s and that they have been replaced with 888s.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You're using a non-stock tyre which may not be very suitable for your application, also what pressures are you using? Centre wear as you describe is often due to high pressure. The only tyre I can see on their website of that size is V speed rated, which won't have much tread when new (so it can go darned fast!) so won't give a very high mileage anyway.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:17 PM
ZooLove2G
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grbrown, I had to do a little search to reacquaint myself with tire ratings. V rated - 150mph and H rated - 130. I don't know exactly what difference is built into the tires for that small amount of speed, but you have a good point. The problem I'm up against here is that I ended up with these fancy rims (which I would have never forked out the money for- but they're nice) but in the 160/60-18" size there's hardly any options. I think you're correct to say that a V rated tire may not be expected to get the same wear longevity as say an H rated... But 3k mi ?? I mean I like to ride aggressively and I enjoy experiencing the motorcycle on the thrill line, but I'm sure not spinning the tires or doing burnouts.
I ran 44 PSI in this rear tire (36psi in front) which is the low recommended by Metzeler for solo rider.
Now, as I do more research I'm finding only a couple other tires avail in this size and they're touting their long life over sticky grip. I don't mind compromising longevity for good grip and good handling tires, but I can't afford to replace them every 3 thousand miles.
So far I'm thinking of trying out the Michelin commander 2's even though they hype up their "lasting twice as long" qualities. Meaning harder rubber/ less grip. Or possibly Pilot road 3's. It'd sure be nice to have some more choices.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It is indeed a fairly small increase in speed, but as an increase in tyre load it is much larger, also tyres for that speed rating are directed at different types of bike to our touring Harleys. As an example the 150/80 x 16 is a popular size and available in several versions and load ratings, for light sporty bikes through to our Harleys.

It would be worth you calling into the Touring section, where you should find more discussion on custom wheels and tyres, there is much more activity over there than here. Also you could contact PM themselves for their advice on suitable tyres and pressures. I'm sure you're not alone with having this challenge, we just need to find you a suitable bunch of people to talk to!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:59 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

If you would like help on picking up a tire that is something we can definitely help you with!

We deal all the major brands, especially Metzeler and Avon!!

Don't hesitate to ask us any questions!

https://wanaryd.com/harley-tires-en/

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

I know that every one has their preference about tires and pressures. There are only 2 different manufacturers that I ever used. Dunlop in the beginning (only once) and then switched to Metzeler. I ride pretty hard but still get 10-12k on my rear, the 880 Marathon, however I do not go by the manufacturers recommended tire pressures. 44 psi is insane...... think about it would you run that kind of pressure on your car. I know two different beasts but the idea is still the same it's all about tire patch size to the road. I run 36 psi front and 32 psi rear. more tire on the road and better handling and traction. by the way my breaking is awesome.. and if your running the H rated tire most likely the combined weight rating on the tires are over 1300lbs.