Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

"Ride On" internal wheel balancing Consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

WEBHNTN, I will most likely do as you say. I did some searching for dealers and there are supposed to be several within 50 miles of me whereas I would have to order Dyna Beads. I have always been a little concerned about beads moving around inside a "tube" and causing damage. Thanks for your recommendations.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I put a new tire on the front, the middle of last year. Rode it many miles and didn't really realize the vibration was from the tire out of balance. I told them to balance it and "Oh yeah, sure, we always do." Well when I put one on the rear the guy says 'You know that front one isn't balanced don't you? I can feel flat spots just rolling it across the floor." His best suggestion since it was already cupped was to just ride it out. Come to find out the other guy didn't even HAVE a tire balancer.

Google fu introduced me to Ride-On. I figured I've got nothing to loose since I'm about to give up and put a new tire on any way to smooth it out.

Man, that stuff is unbelievable. It's not perfect because of the above but it's still like night and day on the ride. I'm going to put some in the rear tire now even though it's been spin balanced. Says it can be used with or with out weights. If it does anything at all this bike will feel like riding on glass to me compared to up to this point.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:30 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by nottaway
OK so I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and tires. The vendor is insisting the new "Ride On" internal wheel balancing is the way to go since you wont have any external weights stuck on those new wheels.

Whats the consensus?

The wheels are fat spokes so will the "Ride On" goo be ok to use with the spoke sealer band on the wheel?

Is the goo safe for all the finishes?

How does the stuff hold up over say 10,000 miles?

I need some experienced folks to chime in on this as its entirely new concept to me. It sounds great but when something sounds this good I'm skeptical.
Never used Goo but have used balance beads like Dyna Beads. They work fine with no issues. What it comes down to is if you install your own tires and don't want to purchase an expensive balance machine and a lifetime supply of weights, use balance beads instead. If you get your tires professionally installed they have a balance machine so will use weights. From behind the handle bars you won't be able to tell the difference between a wheel that has been properly balanced with weights or the dynabeads.