Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Rear Fatboy Solid wheel on Blackline...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM
BlkLine12
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Fatboy Solid wheel on Blackline...

Looking to put a solid rear wheel to replace my spokes.... im pretty sure my Blackline is a 1in axle and the older fatboys are 3/4? Ive seen the swaps done before so im a bit lost. Anyone have any info for me?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

The later Unique Softail wheels are a little off my radar particularly those 17x6 and 08-later (i think) 16x3 wide-hub wheels like you have. I'm confident this particular swap can be done, but it may take a bit of custom work. I'll try to give you an overview of what probably needs to happen and point out some issues that will need to be resolved.

The "Older fatboys" you would be looking for are 2000-2006 16x3 Rears, particularly 03-06 because of an offset change in 2003 and they do have 3/4" bearings. You have 25mm ID bearings (close to 1") and would have to enlarge the hub centers to accept your larger 25mm/1" center spacer sleeve.

**Note: You might check here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...-solution.html for my posts to someone trying to do the same thing. It was 3 mos. ago and before my very recent enlightenment on those wide-hubbed softail 16x3 wheels and before i had acquired a length dimension of the center spacer sleeve used in said wheels. But it may provide you with info regarding at least spacer sleeve hole requirements and wheel offsets.

You will need a pulley spacer because your FXS hub is wider (see pulley side comparison below)

______ Later 16x3 softail wheel ______________________ Earlier Hub (it's flipped because it's a sportster, but same hub size as the earlier fatboys)

With the newly acquired length of the 16x3 wide-hub center spacer sleeve, I can say it is approx 1" longer than the fatboy wheel sleeve. Some of that will absorbed by the 25mm x 15mm wide bearings being thinner than the 3/4"ID x 21mm wide bearings originally used in the fatboy wheel, but it still leaves approx 1/2" of extra spacer sleeve to deal with. That fatboy wheel probably won't handle it without the bearing protruding too far outside the hub on the pulley side (and that may be ok if the pulley spacer is machined to accept bearings...dunno yet) This all to try and use all your original sized parts (axle spacers,bearings,center spacer,etc) other than you're going to need an internal bearing shim/spacer (because it's a 15mm wide bearing used in wheel designed for a 21mm wide bearing) on the "primary" wheel side (rotor side) which may be custom sized or OEM part (dunno yet).

If the above doesn't work, then may have to go "custom"...shorten the center spacer sleeve to bring the pulley side bearing back into the hub and make a longer left wheel spacer to compensate.

Well this may give you something to think about. I will say I'm intrigued now. I'm going try and seek out one of those wide-hubbed wheels and work out a wheel kit, I already have a few of those Fatboy wheels, they're are others that want to do the same thing as you

Last edited by multihdrdr; 08-05-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 AM
BlkLine12
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks alot! a shop tried telling me i could just press new bearings in and it would work fine.. seems a bit more in depth lol. i appreciate the info!!