Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Nitrogen fill

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:29 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

To get 100% nitrogen, the 80% nitrogen/air would need to be vacuumed out of the tire first, correct?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
To get 100% nitrogen, the 80% nitrogen/air would need to be vacuumed out of the tire first, correct?
Correct, or fill, drain, fill etc.

A waste of time and money.

Air works fine.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Waste of money for me also....I get air free and check my pressure very often anyway.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default There are several compelling reasons to use pure nitrogen in tires.

N is a larger molecule than O2. Tire pressure will remain more stable over time, since N is less likely than O2 to migrate through rubber.

Do you check your tire pressure daily? MSF wants daily pressure checks.

Have you ever seen or felt moisture/ water (H2O) in your tire? (I have when purging the schrader valve of dust before adding air). Water causes even larger pressure swings.

Do you drain your compressor of water regularly? I don't. When I do, lots of water drains out. It is VERY easy to get water in your tube or tire, I have seen this often, been riding and changing tires for 40 years. I remember finding water in my bicycle tubes as a kid, most likely from the gas station compressor I used.

I think N is a great idea, but I don't use N due to cost and hassle. I just use air from as few sources as possible to avoid water.

How about a link with the FACTS: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...a3894/4302788/

Last edited by Jetfever; 10-06-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Lighteye
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^^ A logical and thought out reply, Jetfever. Thanks for the link and info.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Buckmaster299
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetfever
N is a larger molecule than O2. Tire pressure will remain more stable over time, since N is less likely than O2 to migrate through rubber.

Do you check your tire pressure daily? MSF wants daily pressure checks.

Have you ever seen or felt moisture/ water (H2O) in your tire? (I have when purging the schrader valve of dust before adding air). Water causes even larger pressure swings.

Do you drain your compressor of water regularly? I don't. When I do, lots of water drains out. It is VERY easy to get water in your tube or tire, I have seen this often, been riding and changing tires for 40 years. I remember finding water in my bicycle tubes as a kid, most likely from the gas station compressor I used.

I think N is a great idea, but I don't use N due to cost and hassle. I just use air from as few sources as possible to avoid water.

How about a link with the FACTS: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...a3894/4302788/

Very well said. Thank you for that reply. I never thought about the moisture as much as I did with the wild swings in pressure that I see with regular air. Thanks again for that information.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Another reason: Jet tires

I have flown Boeing and Douglas jets for over 30 years. My company uses only N in the tires.

For the reasons in the link above and one more: A brake fire is fairly common after a high speed rejected (aborted) take off. These fires can be common after a high speed emergency landing when minimal or no flaps are used.

N is also inert, and will not feed the fire like O2 can if the brake fire consumes the tire. BTW, there are fuse plugs in the rim to deflate the tire when overheated to prevent an explosion. B-767, DC-9 main tires used 195-205 Psi on the mains. Tires are rated to 195 Knots!

Lots of vids on youtube:

Old 10-08-2015, 08:31 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfever
...Have you ever seen or felt moisture/ water (H2O) in your tire? (I have when purging the schrader valve of dust before adding air). Water causes even larger pressure swings.

Do you drain your compressor of water regularly? I don't. When I do, lots of water drains out. It is VERY easy to get water in your tube or tire, I have seen this often, been riding and changing tires for 40 years. I remember finding water in my bicycle tubes as a kid, most likely from the gas station compressor I used...
The moisture in the tires has a bigger influence on pressure swings than "air" vs. N. If you are using a compressor that isn't drained regularly and/or doesn't have a drier/water trap you will get a lot of moisture in the tire esp. in high humidity conditions. N is delivered with no water. For the average consumer N is a waste of time and money. Put a drier and/or a water trap on your compressor and be happy. This will also make your air tools happier.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Not saying N is bad for tires, by all means, if you can afford it and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy put it in there... Remember to check you pressures often... Do you ride over to the outlet (Dealer or tire place) to get refills to keep it pure N or do you fill from another AIR source?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:12 AM
CoffeedrinkerinNC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get 100% nitrogen for free, then go for it. I don't think it's worth paying for, I have an air pump at home and just check my pressure weekly.

With 100% nitrogen, the pressure still changes with the air temp. What nitrogen and really and "pure" gas element offers is a predictability of the pressure change to the air temp.

As you ride, the tires warm up and the pressure increases.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen fill