Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

2008 SG axle sleeve length with Abs, wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 SG axle sleeve length with Abs, wheel help

Can someone tell me the OEM length of the front axle sleeve for a 2008 street glide with ABS please?
I bought a DNA fat spoke wheel and failed on the install. I had a friend install the abs bearings days before we did the install and something wasn't right, the rotors wouldn't line up with the calipers, the rotors were being tweaked to the right of the bike and the abs sensor didn't seed correctly. I ended up putting my stock wheel back on with ease.

We used the 1" axle sleeve that was supplied with the wheel, and abs bearings I bought. We had to remove the 3/4" bearings and sleeve that were in the wheel. I'm thinking I'm supposed to use the OEM stock length? Does this sound right?

Did we maybe install the abs bearing on the wrong side? The depth seemed deeper then the stock wheel on the abs side by 1/4" or more.

I'm gonna start over with new bearings, do I need to buy a axle sleeve same length as OEM or use the one supplied?

Thanks for the help. I'm stuck.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:23 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Anybody?

Old 10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you are swapping a wheel over to abs from a non-abs bike, then you do need a shorter bearing spacer. If you are buying new bearings, then buy a bearing kit from your local dealer. They are intended for (almost!) exactly this application, installing a custom wheel in a bike. Kits are available for non-abs and abs wheels. Check the H-D website and go to the Shop tab, for more details. The kits come with bearings and correct spacer.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Thanks grbrown, do you think I could get by with using my stock spacer sleeve removed from my stock wheel?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

I'm not swapping wheels from a non abs bike, I bought a new 21" wheel thanks

Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

You'll need the bearing shim and your 2008-later spacer sleeve.

If you were to remove your ABS bearing (or Left-side NON-ABS bearing for that matter) from your 16x3 wheel, you should find a bearing shim (used in 2008) behind it and the correct spacer sleeve.

Those parts are available in the "Install Kit" from HD or you can buy separately or re-use yours.

In regards to bearing installation...what is used to indicate the left side of wheel (that is where you install your first bearing)? Are both bearing bores the same depth? Is it a dual disc wheel or are you converting to single sided?

If you need part#s, let me know

Old 10-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Thanks for your help

Okay so let me get this right.... So there's a bearing shim that is supposed to be inserted into the wheel before I inset the abs bearing and then the abs bearing is pressed into the wheel up against the shim? Okay makes sense because the abs senser didn't sit right when trying to install the wheel.

It makes sense, that shim would had moved my wheel over a tad bit and my rotors would had fit into my calipers and the abs sensor would had set correctly. The length of the abs bearing sleeve must be a different length then non abs?

Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
You'll need the bearing shim and your 2008-later spacer sleeve.

If you were to remove your ABS bearing (or Left-side NON-ABS bearing for that matter) from your 16x3 wheel, you should find a bearing shim (used in 2008) behind it and the correct spacer sleeve.

Those parts are available in the "Install Kit" from HD or you can buy separately or re-use yours.

In regards to bearing installation...what is used to indicate the left side of wheel (that is where you install your first bearing)? Are both bearing bores the same depth? Is it a dual disc wheel or are you converting to single sided?

If you need part#s, let me know
Thanks for your help

Okay so let me get this right.... So there's a bearing shim that is supposed to be inserted into the wheel before I inset the abs bearing and then the abs bearing is pressed into the wheel up against the shim? Okay makes sense because the abs senser didn't sit right when trying to install the wheel.

It makes sense, that shim would had moved my wheel over a tad bit and my rotors would had fit into my calipers and the abs sensor would had set correctly. The length of the abs bearing sleeve must be a different length then non abs?

I do need parts if you had a part number for the shim and sleeve that would be great!

Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Deltyree
... So there's a bearing shim that is supposed to be inserted into the wheel before I inset the abs bearing and then the abs bearing is pressed into the wheel up against the shim?
Yes...
Just one (correct sized) shim/spacer....under the "Primary" side bearing (Left-Front and Right Rear on your bike)

The Shim/Spacer is for using the thinner 25mm ID x 15mm wide Non-ABS bearing or 18mm wide ABS bearing in wheels designed for the wider 21mm wide bearings (3/4 & 1"ID)

The 08-later spacer sleeve is the same regardless of whether equipped with ABS or not. The difference in 3mm between the ABS 18mm and STD 15mm widths is dealt with in the "Primary" side spacing. The ABS combo sensor/spacer is 3mm shorter/thinner than the Non-ABS spacer.

Your 2008 just happens to use those same parts from the factory (that's why i said you could rob the parts if needed) because it was the first year for 25mm ID x 15mm/18mm bearings, but still using the earlier wheels designed for the wider 1" ID x 21mm wide bearings. In 2009 they redesigned the wheels for the thinner bearings and no shim/spacer was needed.

Your Rear has a shim also (on the Right side), but slightly different thickness.

Parts...
43903-08 ($21.73 List) FRONT Bearing Spacer/Shim
41900-08 ($10.19 List) Bearing Spacer Sleeve (08-later touring)

OR 41454-08B ($79.95 List) FRONT Wheel Install Kit ('08-later Front Touring with ABS) (Kit includes the above two items)

Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Deltyree
Intermediate

Wow thanks bud I appreciate everything, you solved my problems. That answered all my questions :-)

Quick Reply: 2008 SG axle sleeve length with Abs, wheel help