Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Can i use a duel disk brake rotor wheel on a single disk fork set up

Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM
mmhyson
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can i use a duel disk brake rotor wheel on a single disk fork set up

Whats up everyone. Its that time again to start performing my list of upgrades.

I am putting a FLSTF front end on my bike. I found a great deal on a 16x3 roadking front wheel with duel disk mounts.

My question is will i have any problem using this wheel with my single brake forks?

If this will not affect anything do they make a cover i could buy to put over the holes on the side i am not using.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:57 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I've done something like that years ago, make the spacers are correctly sized and the caliper is aligned with the rotor. It took a little work but the end result was fine. There's a chrome cover you can buy from Kirk, JP or others that will cover the bolt holes on the side without the rotor.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 PM
mmhyson
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ok thanks

Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by mmhyson
I am putting a FLSTF front end on my bike. I found a great deal on a 16x3 roadking front wheel with duel disk mounts.

My question is will i have any problem using this wheel with my single brake forks?
FWIW, I think you'll find the "Touring" (eg Road King) front wheel has a wider dimension for the Rim/Hub centerline-to-Rotor mounting flange than the FL Softail. Depending on whether you using a 99-earlier or 2000-later wheel, there are some workarounds, but easiest if you find a FL softail front wheel. I don't have the dim in front of of me but I believe approx .100-.200" difference.

If you move the Touring wheel over to align rotor to caliper, you'll also be moving the wheel centerline over as well

As mentioned there are aftermarket Right-side covers/plates as well as OE stock ones

Last edited by multihdrdr; 12-23-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:09 PM
hobo1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The forks she bought plus the lowers won't match up . She bought it with some after market wide glide triple tree he has no idea who make it as it has no markings so we don't know what parts are needed there. The lowers are off a wide glide, and he was thinking we would just put the lowers on the 79 upper she bought but after looking everything over he lost parts and it's just a freaking disaster honestly. He has no intreste involved in any of the parts except to watch over my shoulder to make sure it put together right this time AND SAFELY, I went through the parts we had sitting there and wrote down everything he said. This brother is honest n straight up, it's hard to put into words what this woman and bike have gone through already from to many hands (trying to make do) if ya can understand.