Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

New RC components wheels and rotors way out of spec

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Steve sounds like you need to put everything back on the bike and test ride it and see if there is a problem, if there is then I'm sure WannaRyd will work something out. At least give them a try first, I would.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 829 Likes on 496 Posts

Hi Tn,
The new rear tire I had to have installed while sorting through the problems with the RC wheels is almost ready to be retired.
I'll report back when I put the RC wheels back on.

120hp from your 103 is very impressive, how's the heat with all that hp?

Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

I concur that the most important part now and for the future is the RO on the rotor side of the hubs

I think you said the Rear was .006"...within Spec

How bout the front?

Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Yup, the rear hub was out 6 thousandths and that put the rotor at 21 thousandths.
Floating rotor or not, when you spin the wheel with the tire off the ground and it binds against the brake pads there is a problem. The key word is" binds "not rubs hard.
I did not pull the front rotor off the wheel but the front rotor was also binding against the brake pads. The front rotor dialed out at 17 thousandths.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

The Harley specs call for the RO for the rotor a MAX .008 Keep in mind that that is 11.50 inches outside the hub. If the hubs is out .006 wouldn't that value be multiplied when you get 11.50 inches away?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Ok, I'm reporting back as promised. I installed both wheels, front and rear complete with chrome pulley and rotors. I also installed new brake pads front and rear.
I could tell right away when I spun the wheels, and the rotors passed through the pads without binding in various spots, that RC got it right this time. I know Wanna ryde took extra care to bolt the rotors on for minimal runnout.
Put about 100 miles on and all is good.

Last edited by Redrodyankneck; 11-15-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds Good!!

Glad to hear everything turned out correct!

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 07-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Took real interest in this case.
Found an RC Components floating rotor on eBay where the seller posted some really good pictures.
The seal rotor has five square tabs that interface lock with five square recess pockets machined into the carrier part.

The best picture shows five 304 as button head screws that thread into blind holes of the carrier that must at 1/2" thick. Looks like the cap screws a 5/16" size.
The pics were so good that 304 could read on the head of the cap screw.

A flat round washer is under the head of the cap screw lightly larger than the head diameter, looks like an "AN" style washer.
Under the flat washer is a wave washer, but the wave washer is larger in diameter than the flat washer and not centered on the cap screw.
Since contact diameter of the flat washer is about 2/3" the wave washer, the deflection of the wave washer is reduced and also increases the stiffness of the spring wave washer.

Hopefully, there is another wave washer sandwiched between underside of thesis rotor and the carrier.

Therefore, The lateral run out (RO) of the rotor can be adjusted by how far the cap screw is threaded into the carrier blind hole.
The lateral rotor position without even touching the caliper pads is dependent on the deflection of the of the two wave washer springs.
So the rotor could potentially be dialed in to zero lateral RO by adjusting the position of the cap screws. What holds these cap in place is unknown. Maybe drop of lockite in the bind hole. This unique design allows minimum displacement because of the shallow wave washer springs, but if the machining is within +/- .0002", which is common tolerance for CNC cutting machines, any float below .010 to either side should be acceptable for uniform brake pad contact pressure.

Hopefully, the bind holes for the cap screws have ss inserts.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 PM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Another consideration on forged aluminum wheels for lateral run out is the manufacturing process.
Making the blank MC wheel for RC Components or Performance machine, etc is quite involved.
First , a 10" round extruded 6061TO is cut the length on a horizontal band saw.
Second, the chunk of aluminum round is placed in an oven and headed to 977F.
Third, the headed aluminum round is placed on spinning table and squished with heavy pressure from large diameter pistion to a pancake. This this so called forging operation that increases the strength of the 6061.
Fourth, the pancake is "flow formed" to make the rim and tire seat feature on another rotating table and a forming roller.
A centering hub with centering hole on the solid wheel is also formed.

As a result of this forging process, the blank wheel is left with lots of compressive residual stress built into the metal.
At this stage the blank wheel can accept a rubber tire on the rim.

This blank wheel is now ready for cosmetic machining at RC Components.
RC Components will remove at least 85% of material from the blank.

The wheel is clamped to either a horizontal or vertical plate for CNC machining.
The wheel must be flipped over on the opposite side to complete the matching.

The design of the RC wheel is a three piece, center with rim, two hubs that retain the bearings. All three components are bolted together with the wheel machined from the blank with flat center sandwiched between the two outer bearing retainers.

The flat center section of wheel with five through holes must be of uniform thickness.
Machining tolerance on high end CNC machines like HAUS is +/-.0002".
The blank is clamped to the steel plate for matching. If the rim lip is not uniform the machined flat area center with the five holes will not be exactly parallel to mounting plate, than when the blank is flipped over to machine the other side the two faces will not be
parallel. When the outboard bearing retainers are installed to the machined blank, the rotor will not run true with the axle because the bearing retainer hubs are not exactly parallel.
Another issue associated with the three piece design is tolerance stack up with the assembly.
The hubs are machined separately, probably on a CNC horizontal lathe.

Back on residual compressive stress.
The stress in the removed material is gone, but stress in the finished wheel still remains.
Over time the residual stress could distort the machined blank wheel , but not the hubs.
Is would quite difficult to compensate for this material "creep" with matching program.

H-D makes one piece cast aluminum wheels with no tolerance stack up issues.
The rim feature is still flow formed similar the forged aluminum blank.
With controlled cooling from molten state, residual stress can be basically eliminated.