Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Any to measure bearing wear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any to measure bearing wear?

I replaced all the wheel, neck and swingarm bearings on a 72 FLH I recently inherited. Obviously if they are pitted or show wear, they have to go. But how can you tell how much life is in a bearing that looks good? Is there any way to measure?

My mechanics said if they look and feel good, they go back in. But how do you know they are not going to die soon?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Timken bearing inspection is really visual.. The running clearance is typically adjustable so you can't measure a running clearance... Clean everything with mineral spirits and inspect under a magnifying lens especially if you have older eyes like me.. If you blow out with compressed air don't let the rollers / cages spin on the bearing. New surfaces will have a ground finished look. Bearings are that wearing well will have shinny area where the rollers run in the race.. Look for pits and rust in the surfaces of the race and rollers. Also check for line like dents in the race. If you seen anything marring the surface of the race, replace both the race and bearing. Pack with you favorite grease and assemble.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Like your mechanic and bwoltz mentioned...

"if they look and feel good, they go back in." ...or Replace if it makes you feel better

Old 01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Timken bearing inspection is really visual.. The running clearance is typically adjustable so you can't measure a running clearance... Clean everything with mineral spirits and inspect under a magnifying lens especially if you have older eyes like me.. If you blow out with compressed air don't let the rollers / cages spin on the bearing. New surfaces will have a ground finished look. Bearings are that wearing well will have shinny area where the rollers run in the race.. Look for pits and rust in the surfaces of the race and rollers. Also check for line like dents in the race. If you seen anything marring the surface of the race, replace both the race and bearing. Pack with you favorite grease and assemble.
If you blow out with compressed air don't let the rollers / cages spin on the bearing ... Yes Sir Ree ... Be careful, I've seen the cages come apart and the results can send you to the dentist or optometrist