Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

ABS, non ABS bearing clarification

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ABS, non ABS bearing clarification

Swapping ABS Enforcers on my non ABS '13 SG. Got everything figured out in my brain except the bearings.

The way I understand it, I can either just use the ABS bearing, and all my original spacers and call it a day, or use a non ABS bearing (with spacer behind it)???

And since I don't have an ABS bike I wouldnt know, but what about the rear bearings? I didn't see too much mention of that anywhere really. Same deal as the front?

I'm thinking its prolly easier and faster to just spend the extra 40 bucks for the ABS bearings front and rear and run them than trying to turn spacers on a lathe.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

The ABS bearings are wider. To run the ABS equipped wheels on a NON ABS bike, you can use reduced length spacers against those bearings. Left-Front and Right-Rear

OR

Change the bearings

Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
The ABS bearings are wider. To run the ABS equipped wheels on a NON ABS bike, you can use reduced length spacers against those bearings. Left-Front and Right-Rear

OR

Change the bearings
Ok, bottom out the non-abs bearing in the deeper bore (unless the bores are the same and I got wrong info) of the ABS wheels then and use my original spacers. Easy enough. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

No don't use your non abs spacer on the ABS side, just get a ABS spacer for the abs side. Don't try to bottom out bearing because they are probably bottomed out already.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by blackscootersociety
Ok, bottom out the non-abs bearing in the deeper bore (unless the bores are the same and I got wrong info) of the ABS wheels then and use my original spacers. Easy enough. Thanks!
Typically (not every time, and if the bores are not approx equal depths), the 1st bearing installed whether it's ABS equipped or not is in the "primary bearing" side and happens to be the shallow side. 1st bearing is "Bottomed" and then the 2nd bearing is installed until it just touches the center spacer sleeve (not bottomed and happens to be the deeper side)

Regardless of shallow or deep, the wheel usually will have an indicator to which is the "primary bearing" side such as a machined circular groove on the rotor mounting surface.

Again,in your case...
Don't touch anything on the wheel, but use a reduced length spacer against the ABS bearing to run the wheel on NON ABS bike

OR

Change the Bearings and then run your original spacers

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser

OK, Thanks for the help guys. Haven't pulled the wheels on any ABS bikes yet, I started thinking that there might be a difference in the wheel on the ABS side. Even though I knew they can be used. I'm opting to change the bearings in the new wheels and run my original spacers. My little bit of confusion arose because I figured the ABS bearing would need bottomed out in order to maintain sensor gap.
Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by blackscootersociety
OK, Thanks for the help guys. Haven't pulled the wheels on any ABS bikes yet, I started thinking that there might be a difference in the wheel on the ABS side. Even though I knew they can be used. I'm opting to change the bearings in the new wheels and run my original spacers. My little bit of confusion arose because I figured the ABS bearing would need bottomed out in order to maintain sensor gap.
Thanks again.
You DO or DON'T have Enforcers already?...With ABS?

If so, how many miles?

EDIT: did you say you had a lathe?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:09 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser

I didn't have the wheels last week. Picked them up on Saturday. They've got 1200 miles on them, off a '16 being built up as one of those bigwheel thingys. lol. Ordered bearings last night from J&P. Will be doing the swap in a few weeks hopefully.