Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

PM Warped Rotor Alternatives (Galfer or EBC?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM
RIGlide09
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PM Warped Rotor Alternatives (Galfer or EBC?)

Though its still snowy in New England, its time to start thinking about this springs MC projects. I have a chrome Performance Machine "Shock" front wheel and the rotors are warped. I lived with it last year but the pulsating brake lever needs to be fixed.

I reached out to PM and they will sell me new outsides for $210 a piece but between the bad chrome and warped rotors, and cost, I am 100% unsatisfied (wheels are fine) so I wont be repeating that mistake and replacing the outsides at ($420/set) or entire rotors at another $600+/set only to expect the same result. I went with PM because I thought they were the go-to but in hindsight my experiences so far are 2 for 2 (close friend on a softail) with warped PM rotors.

Since the Shock is a 5 spoke design I am open to any suggestions on designs that look close enough to still look OK but has a decent rotor. Otherwise, since it wont match, I may as well buy a full floating rotor that will provide reliable braking. Does anybody have any experience with the EBC or Galfer wave rotors on a touring bike? I've always had good luck with Galfers on my sportbikes and they always held up on my track bike, so I know they can stand some legitimate abuse, but I am curious if it translates to a heavier touring bikes.

Vendors, I am not locked in on any solution so feel free to PM me with your recommendation or if somehow you can sell the outsides much cheaper than PM quoted. Also if you carry the Galfer or EBC lines, I am curious on pricing with chrome centers. I would prefer to support one of you than eBay.

Edit: Mods: Iif this should be in the Front end section, please move

Last edited by RIGlide09; 02-14-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

I have the floating Galfer rotor on the front of one of my softails and love it, the other softail has a Russell floating rotor but I have not used it yet as I am still doing front end work on that bike. I installed EBC floating rotors front and rear on my Dads softail and he really likes them. I would not hesitate to use either brand if you find a rotor you like. PM me for further information...