Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Lacing 18 5.5 rear rim question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 PM
blackduck889
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackduck889
would u have a pattern or directions for such a lace ?
Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I've done a couple.. Use an alloy rim if possible, Excel make s good alloy rim... You shouldn't have to re-space the hub but you might need to recenter the wheel after laced..

One issue that come up is spoke pattern. The order might require running all the inside spokes the same direction. It depends on how the holes are drilled in the rim.. As mentioned Buchanan is the best. I've been using them for spokes since the 70s.
Where could I get a lacing pattern/directions ? Thanks for the reply as well

Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Originally Posted by blackduck889
Where could I get a lacing pattern/directions ? Thanks for the reply as well

I found this through google..

https://bikebrewers.com/lace-motorcycle-wheel/

This shows the basic lacing pattern on a spool hub and shows the some of the theory behind wheel lacing.. HD spool hubs are typically different but the difference is minor once you understand the basics..

The differences are that HD only uses 1 spoke type on rear hubs. They roll the hub side in or out depending on the year. Most late model rear hubs slant inward and have 40 holes. Each side has 2 rows of holes The we can call inner and outer. Each side of the hub is offset by 1/2 a position from the other side. If you look at the link they discuss this. The main issue with HD hubs with row of holes is that to get the right 1/2 offset when assembling the wheel you might have to reverse the direction of the inner row of spooks on one side. On regular spool hubs, the spoke bend lets you position where the inners and outers are.

Here is a pic of a typical hole pattern with stuff drawn in to show the general direction of the spokes. Don't remember if its the new HD pattern or old as it was an aftermarket rim..

Now getting the general idea of which way the spokes go. hear is a pick of the 2 possible general patterns..

See that one is simply a mirror image of the other. Note that the 2 spokes going in the same direction (circled) will meet the hub in the same order, one being offset 1/2 hole from the holes on the other side. You can figure out how pattern the hub you have matches the rim.. The follow the instructions in the link.. Usually you have to do all the inners spokes then lace the outers last.

The following users liked this post:
St. Bob (09-16-2018)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Also HD uses a 4 crossover pattern.

Add

Another thing with HD wheels is that it's best to install all the inner spokes into the hub before attaching the rim. At least the way I do it.. Sportster / dyna front spools are a PITA as the only way I can do them is to install all spokes and arrange the pattern before connecting the hoop.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 03-10-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Add.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 AM
blackduck889
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Also HD uses a 4 crossover pattern.

Add

Another thing with HD wheels is that it's best to install all the inner spokes into the hub before attaching the rim. At least the way I do it.. Sportster / dyna front spools are a PITA as the only way I can do them is to install all spokes and arrange the pattern before connecting the hoop.
HUGE HELP max hf !! Just what I needed. Together with directions provided and my Manual an idiot like me can say. Yea I did it myself.