Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Springer Front Tire Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 AM
thunderfootblue
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Springer Front Tire Removal Question

It’s time for a new front tire for the springer, so I ordered a Michelin Commander II, together with a new tube & rim strip from DK. This is my first tire change on this bike, and I question whether I’m qualified to do it.

I’ve always performed most of my own bike maintenance, and I’ve removed and replaced motorcycle tires before without an issue, but not on a springer. Part of my apprehension is that I watched some guy on YouTube doing a tire removal, and he kept stressing that you should really have springers done by a HD mechanic, as there are adjustments to make, or at least check.

I realize springers are different, and I can see if someone disassembled and reassembled the entire front end that they’d need to set it up properly from scratch, but does simply removing the front tire (basically removing fender, axle & caliper) potentially throw things out of whack?

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderfootblue
... but does simply removing the front tire (basically removing fender, axle & caliper) potentially throw things out of whack?
Wouldn't think so...go for it. Make note of placement and keep track of spacers and the like

Old 03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

There are no adjustments to make when removing/replacing front wheel on a springer. The only thing down there is the rockers and you're not touching those when removing a wheel. More overblown internet maintenance BS.

The following users liked this post:
thunderfootblue (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 PM
thunderfootblue
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cousy
There are no adjustments to make when removing/replacing front wheel on a springer. The only thing down there is the rockers and you're not touching those when removing a wheel. More overblown internet maintenance BS.

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!