Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Is the MoCo going to Nitrogen air......

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the MoCo going to Nitrogen air......

With nitrogen pressure being more consistent than normal air pressure, because air typically contains varying amounts of moisture due to changes in the relative humidity on any given day. I think I am going to switch over to nitrogen air in my tires it has a much more consistent rate of expansion and contraction compared to the usual air. Will nitrogen radically affect traction and handling I understand NASCAR uses nitrogen.

What do you think.....

Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
sePArider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your time and money on nitrogen. For street applications it is purely a sales gimmick.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Pumping up tires with Nitrogen IMO is lame, pump some air in them and dont over think the simple stuff, air has worked for a long long time.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitrogen makes a difference if you're racing and a half pound of pressure makes a difference on how the vehicle handles.

Using nitrogen on street vehicles is a waste of money and just another way for dealers to add to their profit.

Your opinion may vary.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Agree!!! There is absolutely not a reason in the world I can think of to run nitrogen for a street application.

Racing is a different story. Touch one of those NASCAR tires as it comes off the car... Your street tire will never come close to the temperatures generated on a race track.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I have nitrogen only because the dealer put it into all the bikes he sells. Here is a link
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

Don't forget, the air we breathe is already 78% nitrogen so you are paying for the 22%

Mainly...waste of time and money. Check your tire pressure.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

My bike has nitrogen been riding it for 4 months with it havent lost any air in my tires they stay the same every time i check them except for the tiny amount i lose when i check them my last bike it seemed i had to air them up every few weeks. Gimmick or not its nice not to have to put air in the tires all the time over 5000 miles on these tires and gonna have nitrogen put in my next set but wont be having the dealer put it in will go to a local tire shop much cheaper.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

is the moco going to put nitrogen in the tires at the factory? no, you will never see it, nitrogen is another production expense. they're in business to make money, not spend it.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Rigdoc
Intermediate

Been using Nitrogen in my cars/bikes (and always in the planes) for a few years and although I agree that no huge benefit in street apps is realized, my pressures run very constant over a much longer time. As far as price is concerned, my car dealer put it in my new RK free (my HD dealer didn't have it). It's in the planes because of weight and the heat generated on landing.

Just my two cents...

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
brock161
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pass Rider
I have nitrogen only because the dealer put it into all the bikes he sells. Here is a link
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

Don't forget, the air we breathe is already 78% nitrogen so you are paying for the 22%

Mainly...waste of time and money. Check your tire pressure.

This is the perfect point

Quick Reply: Is the MoCo going to Nitrogen air......