Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

bias verses radial?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
rodgerthat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bias verses radial?

Im needing to replace the tires on my 2009 fxstc and plan to use metzelers but i see I have an option between radials and bias for the front. Im thinking the radials are the way to go but i would like your input on the two.

rodgerthat!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have radials on the rear, you better run radials on the front, or you'll be sorry. I didn't even know you could still get bias...

Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I've got an email into Avon and I'll let you know what they say, I want to put a set of Avon Cobras on my bike , the front tire size comes in a radial, the rear tire size is a bias but they have another size that is close and would work in a radial, I emailed them to see if you can run a bias and radial together, I prefer bias on the rear because they have a higher load rating and I ride a bagger, stock Dunlop tires on baggers are bias

Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
If you have radials on the rear, you better run radials on the front, or you'll be sorry. I didn't even know you could still get bias...
So then how come when I bought my 08 FXSTC, the MoCo had a radial Dunlop tire on the back, and a bias Dunlop on the front??

Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

talked to Avon today, they said you can run a radial in the rear and a bias up front no problem but you should never run a bias in the back and a radial in the front

Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Rise
Novice

Originally Posted by tj316
talked to Avon today, they said you can run a radial in the rear and a bias up front no problem but you should never run a bias in the back and a radial in the front
I corresponded with Avon too and asked if I could run rear Avon Storm 2 (radial) with my stock Dunlop in the front. Just until I can afford an Avon front tire. They said I could as long as the tread pattern was relatively the same. I don't think I mentioned the radial and bias thing but I have been doing a bit of research and discovered a lot of people mix brands and even radial / bias. Just as long the radial are in the rear and bias are in the front. Will re-post when I get them on and ride for a bit.

Until then

Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I have run the combo both ways and never saw a problem or noticed any differences... Maybe on a race bike you would see a difference but how fast you gonna go and a cruiser?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Rise
Novice

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I have run the combo both ways and never saw a problem or noticed any differences... Maybe on a race bike you would see a difference but how fast you gonna go and a cruiser?
I'm glad to hear it cus it's all I can afford for now. I don't go fast anymore. Unlike my sports bike days where a 100+ was normal. Now, in my old man days, I rarely break 85mph. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

From what i can gather the biggest problem with mixing Bias and Radials is on a trailer because of the difference in the sidewall load...I will agree that if given the choice and budget it probably is best to have matching tires but i have mixed them and gone on trips with the bike and felt not adverse effects and this was riding fully loaded 2 up in the NC mountains or solo and hauling ***...I go through tires fairly fast because i am using my Cams to the fullest....I get the best deals i can on rears and just ride the **** out of them....

Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also run radials in the rear with bias in front and also radials in front and never noticed anything wrong with it.
Also the MoCo sells some models (Night Train?) with a radial in the rear and a bias in front

Regards,

Quick Reply: bias verses radial?