Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Rear brake premature pad failure, and no bubble from pressure relief port?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear brake premature pad failure, and no bubble from pressure relief port?

Guys at first I thought my caliper might be at fault. Then I read in the service manual about checking for the presence of a bubble when pressing the brake. I'm not sure if this is my problem. I searched the archives, and it sounds like guys are having severe brake lock up issues associated with no pressure relief bubble.

What do you guys think? Anything else that can cause premature pad wear? Is there a way to clean this port out?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pistons could be dirty preventing them from retracting into the boars. Lyndall Racing has an illustrated tech page on cleaning.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Yea I read about that. I already have a new caliper, brake line, and rotor that I haven't installed yet. Just wondering if I should replace or rebuild the master because I don't want to overheat/score another rotor if the pads wear through again. Pads are lasting about 2k miles. Seems to be lasting longer as time rolls on. It's been this way since 08

Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Fastrider124
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Definitely rebuild the master cylinder. Brake pad wear, lock up etc happens because the master cyl piston does not return to its full out position. That blocks the port you would see bubbles from. A heat builds, it expands the pads out tighter onto the rotor, casuing premature failure.
I had a brand new out of box front master that wouldn't return properly, but it never got the chance to fail,it would not produce any flow, basically blocked itself. I installed a new kit and the problem was solved. Fastrider 124

Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing is happening on my bike right now. I noticed reduced gas mileage and very hot rear rotor. I pulled the lid off the rear master cylinder and see no bubble when I push and release the brake pedal. Ordered a new rear master cylinder for $75 from Newcastle HD in Pennsylvania. Just waiting for it to come in. I hope this solves my problem so I can get back on the road.
I have never changed the brake fluid on any vehice I've ever owned but I guess I see now why it's important. I will be doing it on the bike every year or 2 at least from now on.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevdude
pressure relief bubble.
I hope it's not contagious.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Okay guys, this is what I did so far. All at the same time. Bought the new cartridge for the master. The fluid was dirty with much sludge in the reservoir blocking the relief port. I now have the bubble.

Just a heads up the pushrod snap ring is a two man job.

I flushed the fluid with my Mitivac, and bled it the old fashioned way. Brakes went soft after a day of riding. Bled it again and got another bubble out. Hopefully It's all good!