Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Michelin Commander II Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
geekysteve
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

1. Are they all they're cracked up to be?
2. How do they ride in comparison to your previous tires? (i've been running Metzler ME 880s for a while (3 sets) and love em)
3. How is the road-noise?
4. How long have they lasted you? (i don't ride hard, just normal)
5. How is wet and dry traction?
6. How do they look? (some tires are just butt-ugly)
7. Where is the cheapest you've found them?
I just purchased a 2004 Road King and the rear Dunlop that it came with was completely bald, so I don't have much to compare my experiences with. All of my previous bikes have been Japanese sportbikes, so the RK is a first as well.

1. I love them. They instantly and dramatically changed the entire nature of my RK. I've put on about 500 miles so far.

2. The ride is so much more improved - gone is the floaty/wiggle feel from the bike at highway speed. Bumps feel much smoother, road irregularities have disappeared, and the cornering is superb - so much, in fact, that I've been scraping the foot boards regularly.

3. I don't notice any road-noise with them.

4. Too early to tell; I hope they will last 15-20k.

5. Traction is superb. In addition to the improved handling, I've noticed the bike feels more planted and predictable when braking. I've been practicing panic stops and the Michelins are confidence-inspiring.

6. This is my only complaint. They look "chubby" from the side; I think a whitewall option would have looked much better - especially a wide white. (see photo)

7. I found them for $283/pair shipped from RevZilla. They arrived within 2 days from ordering. I was shocked. The installation cost $190 at dealer (2 tubes, 1.4 hours of labor). That was also shocking... :-) Darn those laced wheels.

Long story short: get them. I was a died-in-the-wool Dunlop guy (D207 GPs) forever. But these tires have converted me to a Michelin guy (almost said "man" but that would've been corny).

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Commander II Tires-bike.jpg  

Last edited by geekysteve; 06-18-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added picture.
The following users liked this post:
Frank D. (04-30-2020)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

for what's it worth and for those who want to know...
I bought the Michelin Commander IIs a week before Sturgis. Rode to Sturgis and back the round about way (Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma) right at 5300 miles round trip. The tires were awesome! Hot roads, wet roads, snow on some roads. The tires were quiet, comfortable, very good traction, and they look good too. Too bad the new 12s and 13s don't come with them standard but instead I'm stuck again running a set of Dunlops till they wear out.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
preach
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 FLHTK put the commander 2's on the bike now I have 8000 miles on them and they still look new ride is good even at high speeds but time will tell