Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Bad Front Bearing, Replace as a Pair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Bad Front Bearing, Replace as a Pair?

At 23K I just changed the 2nd front tire on my 09 FLHT. When balancing I noticed a slight bit of play in the right bearing. I did a search and saw many people are having failed wheel bearings. I've never changed a wheel bearing before so I was just going to take it to the dealer. My questions for any of you that know; should I just have them replace both while they're at it? My hunch is that is what should be done. Is there a better bearing out there?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Forgetful1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
At 23K I just changed the 2nd front tire on my 09 FLHT. When balancing I noticed a slight bit of play in the right bearing. I did a search and saw many people are having failed wheel bearings. I've never changed a wheel bearing before so I was just going to take it to the dealer. My questions for any of you that know; should I just have them replace both while they're at it? My hunch is that is what should be done. Is there a better bearing out there?
Change them both if your going this way>
Pay out of pocket if you have to, most dealers will or should do the labor under warranty, but you will have piece of mind at least with a better bearing. I know I did, less then $20.00 a piece depends where you go and if you get a discount. SKF is the way to go. the stock bearings are made in China or Korea I forget now, but not in North America for sure.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Forgetful1
Novice
Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Forgetful1
Change them both if your going this way>
Pay out of pocket if you have to, most dealers will or should do the labor under warranty, but you will have piece of mind at least with a better bearing. I know I did, less then $20.00 a piece depends where you go and if you get a discount. SKF is the way to go. the stock bearings are made in China or Korea I forget now, but not in North America for sure.
Thanks Forgetful1. I took the wheel to the dealer this morning. I asked if they had better bearings but they didn't, but they did advise me to replace both the right and left (ABS) bearing. They had them in stock and did them for me. My bike is an 09 so not under warranty.
So I guess you're recommending "SKF" brand bearings as being better? If so I should probably order a set for each wheel and have them installed next tire change.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,535 Likes on 3,054 Posts

It's not where the bearings were made but how they were designed. '00 to '07 had double row bearings ( 21 mm wide,) that I replaced at 100,000 miles just for good measure. There was nothing wrong with them. Their replacements were made in China, and no problems.

In '08 Harley went with the cheaper 25 mm axle set up with cheaper single row bearings ( only 15 mm wide,) and that's when the bearing failures occurred. Many were delivered w/o enough grease in them, on top of being a poor substitute for what they had previously.

And yes, I'd replace them both.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy

....In '08 Harley went with the cheaper 25 mm axle set up with cheaper single row bearings ( only 15 mm wide,) and that's when the bearing failures occurred...

Thanks for the explanation, Stiggy.

So I now have two motorcycles with known bearing issues. BMW's F650 Twin is the other one.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Thanks Stiggy, that's interesting info. I just assumed the later 25mm bearings are similar to the earlier sealed ball bearings. I just fitted 1" bearings in a Deuce rear wheel and thought they looked wide. Should do fine in my Glide!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Part numbers please

Do any of you have the SKF part numbers plaese.

My bike is a 09 FLHR.

thanks

signed....REDHEAD

6205 2RSJEM is the number on the SKF.

The 9276"A" for HD's "problem fix" on the chinese made bearing is out now and better reports from them (probably put grease in the bearing)

Last edited by REDHEAD; 08-03-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added findings
Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Forgetful1
Novice

Originally Posted by Stiggy
It's not where the bearings were made but how they were designed. '00 to '07 had double row bearings ( 21 mm wide,) that I replaced at 100,000 miles just for good measure. There was nothing wrong with them. Their replacements were made in China, and no problems.

In '08 Harley went with the cheaper 25 mm axle set up with cheaper single row bearings ( only 15 mm wide,) and that's when the bearing failures occurred. Many were delivered w/o enough grease in them, on top of being a poor substitute for what they had previously.

And yes, I'd replace them both.
I was at a dealer a last year and they showed me an old bearing from an old Harley and it was about twice the size, this old guy told me " it was rare that they had trouble with them but now, well the parts dept is doing well ".

Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Forgetful1
Novice

Originally Posted by REDHEAD
Do any of you have the SKF part numbers plaese.

My bike is a 09 FLHR.

thanks

signed....REDHEAD
6205 I was told for all harley's, the same number is on the OEM. but i would call a dealer first to make sure.
oh and same bearing number on a Goldwing and they are pretty heavy and if you talk to a Honda dealer they don't have much trouble with there's, so something's not working right in quality control with SD bearings in China.

Quick Reply: Bad Front Bearing, Replace as a Pair?